Unanswered: Environment Setup

I am trying to set up a J2EE 1.4 environment to work with my mySQL DB. I am using JBOSS 3.2.3, ConnectorJ 3.0.1.1 and Eclipse 2.1.2. I have read almost 40 'tutorials' online that explain how to set this environment up, but it's still not working.

I can start up JBOSS and mySQL fine. I have edited the hsqldb-ds.xml file in the deploy folder fo JBOSS to use SQL instead. I can provide the code changes I made if this would help. I have a pretty standard directory structure in my JAVA project.

Project
    Java
    Assets
    JSP
    META-INF
    WEB-INF
    classes
    lib

I have also tried editing the web.xml file in WEB-INF, but am not sure I've done this correctly. I wanted to be able to compile and test my code without packaging it into a full .war right away. I found an article that suggested I download ANT. I downloaded this, but it's not running either. I checked my environment variables and they seem to be ok (or at least they look that way to me).

At this point, I've checked everything I know how to check. Does anyone have advice, or a good reference that might help me sort this out? THANKS

Also, not sure if this helps, but the app server error I'm getting says HTTP 500 error: No context available to process this request.