Unanswered: Excel help wanted :)

Hey does anyone know the formula to do this.

I have 2 columns with student marks in called "exam mark" and "coursework mark", if they fall below 40 then they fail that module and are entitled to a resit. I have a third column called resits. I need a formula to determine what modules were failed and display them like so. "None", "Exam", "Coursework", "Both"

Im stuck Ive been working with nested IF statements......but am only confuesing myself.....anyone care to help..much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Excel help wanted :)

More info needed. Is the grade in the exam column and could the user appear more than once in that column?

Originally posted by bigdavestar

I have 2 columns with student marks in called "exam mark" and "coursework mark", if they fall below 40 then they fail that module and are entitled to a resit. I have a third column called resits. I need a formula to determine what modules were failed and display them like so. "None", "Exam", "Coursework", "Both"

Im stuck Ive been working with nested IF statements......but am only confuesing myself.....anyone care to help..much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Welcome to the Board!

Maybe you can attach a sample of your worksheet.

Smitty

Re: Excel help wanted :)

Originally posted by bigdavestar

Thanks!

Hi Dave
    If Exam Scores are in column D, and Coursework in Column E and resits in F beginning at row 6, for example, then try this:
    =IF(AND(D6<40,E6<40),"Both",IF(D6<40,"Exam",IF(E6< 40,"Coursework","None")))
    Melinda