Unanswered: Workgroup Administrator couldn't create the workgroup information file...

When i try to create a new DB, open an old one, or setup a new workgroup file I get this message:
    "Workgroup Administrator couldn't create the workgroup information file. Make sure that you have specified a valid path and file name, that you have....... ... ... ..destination drive (-3100)".
    Needless to day - the drive has enough space (Ive tried it on several drives). I am the computer admin, I have tried to create a new workgroup file, uninstall and reinstall Access, reinstall JET engine 4.0sp8, enabeling all relatively-relevant system services. Nothing helps.
    I dont know if it has anything to do with the problem but: I cant find the JET engine on the add/remove program list.
    What can I do?
    dd+

Im running:
    WinXPsp1
    Office2003/Access2003
    JET 4.0sp8

Provided Answers: 54
    This smells like a registry problem to me. I'd check the Workgroup Information File page for hints.

-PatP

Red face MS JET

Should I see the JET engine on the add/remove? I have also reinstalled MSDAC 2.8.
    The page you posted doesnt speak of registry topics. Do you know of a registry fix?

dd+

Hmmm... The page that I get to usng that link does reference the registry. I'm not sure what you are seeing.

Anyway, there are a number of settings that control where Access looks for the workgroup files. I suspect that something might be mildly hammered up there, since many Jet-based applications like to "fudge" those registry values for better security.

-PatP

SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!

OK - I have finally solved this problem.
    After reinstalling office 2003 completely, which ofcourse didnt help, and fiddling with the registry, which was set up correctly, I just downloaded an older version of the JET engine (4.0sp3), and viola - all is fine.
    DAMN!!! M$ has some poor QA.

The link: http://internetcafe-software.de/down...40Sp3_Comp.exe

dd+

b.t.w. thanx for all the help.

Good deal. Sorry if I might have put you on the wrong track, but this sounded a lot like a problem that many folks reported with some proprietary packages that tinkered with things in the reigstry.

-PatP