Unanswered: Maximum Function

Hi

I have a very simple database, consisting of a Table with 3 Fields: ID, Name & Date. Each field is populated with data

eg:

001 Joe Bloggs 01/12/03
    002 Joe Bloggs 01/03/02
    003 John Smith 03/02/02
    004 Joe Bloggs 06/06/04
    005 Joe Bloggs 07/07/04
    006 John Smith 12/12/03

Using a simple Query I can use the MAX function to extract the Highest date for each Person, but what I am also trying to do is extract the SECOND Highest Date, for instance with Joe Bloggs the MAX function would extract 07/07/04, I would also like to extract 06/06/04.

Is this possible?

TIA

Steve

Have a look at the TopValues property in Access Help. That should do what you want.

Originally posted by bmacr
    Have a look at the TopValues property in Access Help. That should do what you want.
    Hm. Is it possible to specify just two records (not percentage) - and PER CLIENT? Seems to need a join/subquery or something to get that right. How is the SQL syntax for this?

Maybe using the "Max records" property (query property, not field property) with a subquery or linked query is an alternative? Well, that would have to run per client, though, perhaps not a viable alternative anyway, just thinking...

D.

Originally posted by kedaniel
    Hm. Is it possible to specify just two records (not percentage) - and PER CLIENT? Seems to need a join/subquery or something to get that right. How is the SQL syntax for this?

Maybe using the "Max records" property (query property, not field property) with a subquery or linked query is an alternative? Well, that would have to run per client, though, perhaps not a viable alternative anyway, just thinking...

D.
    Well, I could be wrong, but TopValues will return an exact number OR a percentage. Couldn't you GroupBy name and use TopValues with a setting of 2? Haven't tried it, just a suggestion.

Ah. I see what you mean now. Not as simple as first thought.

Provided Answers: 54
    How about:
    PHP Code:
    SELECT a.nameMax(a.date), Max(b.date)

FROM myTable AS a
       JOIN myTable 
    AS b
          ON 
    (b.name a.name)

WHERE  b.date a.date
       GROUP BY a
    .name