Unanswered: SQL-server with Small Business Server 2003 Premium edition

In relation to my topic:
    http://www.dbforums.com/t990566.html

I'm curious as to how much of a difference SQL-server will make to our databases.

Is there anyone who can tell me what kind of version of SQL-server ships with Small Business Server 2003 Premium edition?

I looked on the Microsoft website and it just states that
    SQL-server 2000 is included with Small Business Server 2003 Premium edition.

Is there anyone who can help me?
    Any thoughts link redirects tips are appreciated

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm not sure that I understand your question. Make a difference relative to what? If you are using MS-Access (actually the Jet database engine), you'll see a few more resources used, but enormously more speed and flexibility. If I'm way off base, give me a bit of guidance and I'll give it another shot.

-PatP

Whether it will make a difference regarding the corruption/damaging of our databases.

Or to put it in a direct question:

Will our databases still have to be repaired on a daily basis when we switch to SQL-server.
    We now use msAccess 2000.

Or will we still have the same problems regarding damaged databases when we switch to SQL-server.

This topic describes my current problem.
    http://www.dbforums.com/t990566.html

Damaged databases in Access are a fact of life. They occur pretty frequently due to the nature of the beast. When a client workstation is allowed to directly modify the database (which is the only way that Jet allows users to share a database), anytime a workstation shuts down unexpectedly, you'll have damaged databases.

With SQL Server (any flavor), you go to a true client/server model. Startup and shutdown of the database is managed by a single machine. All activities are logged, which allows rollbacks of incomplete operations in the event of catastrophic server failures.

I won't go so far as to say that you'll never have a damaged database, but I ride herd on several hundred databases with many thousands of users... I've had three damaged databases since 2003-01-01 (about 15 months ago), and all of those problems were fixed with a few hours of scheduled downtime, without my even being physically present.

-PatP

Thanks PatP,

You catered to my wishes (as far as my question goes)
    This is exactly what I wanted to know.

The only thing now I need to know is whether the version of SQL-server provided with the bundle "Small Business Server 2003 Premium" is an adequete version of SQL-server.

I hope I won't stumble upon some message saying something like: "this action is not supported by this version of SQL-server".

I have a strong suspicion that the SQL-server version is not the same as the standard version of SQL-server.
    Because SQL-server standard edition costs just as much as the Small Business Server 2003 Premium edition.

I'll try some more googling.
    If I come up with an answer myself, I'll include it in a reply.

Thanks again PatP

You are right, the version of SQL Server that ships with SBE is somewhat limited. I believe that it has a 2 GB database limit, and some of the "high end" features are disabled (so I wouldn't recommend it for supporting a 1000 user web site).

I doubt that these limitations would impose any serious problems for the average small business user. If they do, you can always upgrade to full blown SQL Server if/when you see the need.

-PatP

Hey Pat,

Thanks again man.
    I keep getting deeper in debt with you.

Where would one be able to find exactly what's not included in the SBS version of SQL server 2000.

I tried googling.
    I tried the Microsoft site, but no luck.
    No specifics!

I'll keep at it.

Thanks for the info Pat.
    Regards,
    Daniel

Check out Small Business notes. You can find more information on the SQL Editions too.

-PatP

Thanks for the links.

I allready dl-ed the versions .doc, but nothing concrete in there.

The msdn will prove very usefull, I am sure.

Thanks man