Unanswered: adding a database

I have a few questions on how oracle works.. I have managed to learn everything that i have needed to know on my own so far but i was just tasked with something and i am not sure how to do it. I currently have oracle 9i running on my MS 2000 server. I received a dump file from one of the companies working on our project and loaded it into a brand new user to create a new schema through TOAD. My coworker asked that since this database changes frequently that we should have a backup, development and productive version of this information. Meaning that the we would develop everything on the development version and fall back to the backup if something were to go wrong. Once we have a deliverable we would then transfer it over to product. Now my main question is whether or now I should create 2 additional databases? Or would it be reasonable to just create 2 new users :backup and production and point each to backup_DATA and production_DATA tablespaces respectively. My main problem is that someone editting the development tables does not by accident alter any of the product or backup tables. I never had any formal training in Oracle so i wasn't sure how this relationship worked. In order for a the development user to access the product tables it must be pointing to that product tablespace correct? I just want to make sure that users are not accidentally editing the wrong files.

The main objective would to be able to compare the schemas side by side to see where exactly changes had occured between development and backup if we had a problem

I personally would have at least 2 databases in this instance ...
    1 for development that developers had access to all objects that they need ...
    1 for production that developers do NOT have access to. Once an object is done (table, trigger, procedure, etc ...) the DBA would apply it to the production (or maybe a testing) database. That way, you have control over the "database" that will be going to the client ...

As far as a "backup" The production could be used for that condition. I would have at least a daily export of the development database in case we had to fallback a couple of days ...

Just 1 persons opinion...

HTH
    Gregg

ok so i can just create 2 new databases using the database configuration assistant? I set the Global database name to acsisdev.blah.org and the SID to acsisdev. It bombed out during the process and i tried to recreate but it says that acsisdev is in use. I went through regedit and deleted everything referring to that name as well as in tnsnames.ora and listener.ora. Where is this linkage remaining so i can delete it and create my acsisdev database?

thanks

What was the message on the initial attempt to create the new database?

"says that acsisdev is in use" - At what point does this occur ??? Is it at the database create portion or the Service create portion ???

Gregg

Ok i am good now, i created the new databases and have connection to new and loaded my dump file. I had to change names since when i tried to create one it said the SID was already in use. But that is not a problem. Can anyone tell me where it tells you where your SIDs are located. I deleted the one the copy from tnsnames.ora and from the registry but it still seems to be there. I don't really care anymore since my data is up but there is no reason for that SID to be floating around if it isn't being used.

thanks