Question Unanswered: What to do with Borland Pdox7 app? (newbie)

I developed a pretty extensive Pdox 7 app using ObjectPAL which I am very dependent on. My workplace is nervous about compatibility with Windows XP + future Windows releases. I wouldn't mind making the program more robust & rewriting it in a new language+reporting tool. But would have to purchase and learn the new software. Am NOT a techie (but did pretty well with ObjectPAL). Any advice for good tools to consider for migrating Pdox 7? THANKS.

Talking Re: What to do with Borland Pdox7 app? (newbie)

Hello moiraAB,
    I am in the same boat. I am working for a client that has over 300 sites running Pdox7 under Win NT4. They want to migrate to Win 2000 Pro or Win XP Pro. My investigations have so far lead me to believe that the best course of action is to bite the bullet and migrate the application to Pdox10. The one major reason for doing so is that Windows is an ever-changing environment and Pdox needs to keep up with it. Pdox10 has already had 2 SPs issued by COREL so they are keeping it current and viable. Nobody is doing anything with V7. I estimate that it won't be long before you won't be able to run the older releases of almost any application, mainly because of security updates to Win XXX.
    As far as complexity in migrating to V10. there doesn't appear to be anything major. All tables remain untouched because the format is still V7 in V10. All delivered objects ( forms, reports and scripts ) have to saved and redelivered under V10 for the applications to run. There is a script provided by COREL to achieve this. I have run a test of it and it took about 30 minutes to resave and redeliver a total of over 1000 (yes, one thousand) objects. There appears to be some minor hassles with reports but nothing that cannot be overcome.
    I hope this info. helps you.
    Cheers,

Yuri

I developed a pretty extensive Pdox 7 app using ObjectPAL which I am very dependent on. My workplace is nervous about compatibility with Windows XP + future Windows releases. I wouldn't mind making the program more robust & rewriting it in a new language+reporting tool. But would have to purchase and learn the new software. Am NOT a techie (but did pretty well with ObjectPAL). Any advice for good tools to consider for migrating Pdox 7? THANKS.
    YuriK

Talking Re: What to do with Borland Pdox7 app? (newbie)

Thanks for your e-mail:

Does Pdox 10 have a runtime version? How is its performance speed-wise? I had upgraded to the first Corel release of Pdox 8 and ditched it because I found it terribly slower & more cumbersome than 7. Also a lot of the menus had changed.

1. Yes, there is a free run-time available from Corel.
    2. The information that I have gathered so far is that performance-wise V10 is no better or worse except if you print big reports using old printers on old computers.
    3. I upgraded one client from V8 to V10 and there were no noticable problems.
    4. I would suggest that you download ProView from http://sheep.east.ru:8100/~menkin/ if you are looking for a fast way of using Paradox. It is free and it works really well and is available for Paradox 7/32, 8, 9,10 and 11.
    5. Yes, things did get rearranged but I have found that once you become accustomed to where they have been shifted to, it really is easier to use them.
    6. V11 is the same as V10, apparently.

Hope this helps you,
    Cheers.
    Yuri
    YuriK