Unanswered: msde and svrnetcn

I have an application that installs a named instance of msde as part of its setup. I am able to access the msde database on the machine it was installed on, but can't access it from any other machine on the network. I want to use the svrnetcn tool to check the tcp/ip settings (the msde is installed with DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0), but when I try to open svrnetcn, a cmd window flashes and nothing happens. Any ideas why I can't open svrnetcn? MSDE is installed on a win 2k box and the service is started. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!!!

Svrnetcn is the executable for SQL Server Network Utility. IT is used for configuring and permitting to use (enabling or disabling) a particular network protocol for an existing instance of SQL Server 2000 or MSDE 2000.

To enable tcp/ip for client connection go to computer desctop, navigate to Start->Run type cliconfg.exe and click OK button. Configure sql server alias using tcp/ip connection and start up client.

Try to execute SVRNETCN from a dos window.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Provided Answers: 54
    Proprietary packages using MSDE will sometimes "sabotage" a full install to inhibit network access. You can often fix this problem by upgrading the MDAC on the machine.

-PatP

Do you have any more info on how it "sabatoges" the network access? I've got mdac 2.7 installed on the machine. I'll try putting 2.8 on the machine and see if that helps.

I did try to execute svnetcn from a dos window and nothing happens, I just go back to the prompt. When I run cliconfg, tcp/ip and named pipes are enabled. I have full SQL Server 2k on my client machine and am unable to connect to the msde instance. When I list available servers using osql, the msde does not show up.

Originally posted by Satya
    Svrnetcn is the executable for SQL Server Network Utility. IT is used for configuring and permitting to use (enabling or disabling) a particular network protocol for an existing instance of SQL Server 2000 or MSDE 2000.

To enable tcp/ip for client connection go to computer desctop, navigate to Start->Run type cliconfg.exe and click OK button. Configure sql server alias using tcp/ip connection and start up client.

Try to execute SVRNETCN from a dos window.

As referred by Pat may try replacing MDAC tools or ensure to maintain similar MDAC on client & server.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

I installed mdac 2.8, but I am still not able open svrnetcn or access the msde instance. I would appreciate any other ideas or info on the "sabatoge" Pat referred to. Thanks so much for your help!