Question Unanswered: stored procedures with variable table names

I am trying to write a stored procedure that will use a variable for the table name. The proc will contain two cursors that perform different functionality.

I've been beating my head against the wall for a week now and can't seem to get the majority of my commands to work with the variable for the table name. Am I just crazy for every trying this? I've been looking around the web for most of the day trying to find an answer and I've seen the same question from a lot of people, but haven't found a good answer.

I'm using Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0.0.6/P/EBF 10628 ESD 1/Sun_svr4/OS 5.7/1918/64bit/FBO/Fri Oct 18 14:36:20 2002

With commands like:

EXECUTE IMMEDIATE ("SELECT * INTO ccrsorttmp FROM " + @ccrtbl + "ORDER BY ASGNT_DATE")

Also, is there a way to do the same thing without the exec so I'm still in the same session as my proc?

put a space before ur "order by" and then try

If I put a space before the order by, will the resulting table be available to the rest of my stored procedure?

Is there a way to use the same command with the variable for the table name without using an exec statement?

And the Saga continues

I've rewritten the stored procedure to not use variable table names. I never could get the variable names to be used correctly and I kept running into name space issues with my cursor. So, after rewriting this procedure to look like the attached, and having run it a few times, I seem to be running into a new problem. The procedure works great for the first table, but throughout the process (can be run against as many as 500 tables where ccrtmptbl is created by doing "SELECT * into ccrtmptbl from XXXX ORDER BY XXX") some tables just magically fail in the update of the SMC_RECNUM field.

After the proc runs, I do a select SMC_RECNUM from ccrtmptbl and the SMC_RECNUM list goes sequentially for a while and then seems to skip, start over, and create duplicates. Not the behavior I'm looking for.

I'm guessing I either need to add commit tran logic or start dumping the transaction log at the end of each run of the proc...but like I said that's only a guess. If anyone can shed some light onto what might be happening I'd appreciate it.

CREATE PROCEDURE collect_ccr_SORT
    WITH RECOMPILE
    AS

DECLARE
    @rec int,
    @count int,
    @new_recnum int

SELECT @count = 0

/* Declare cursor to sequentially update SMC_RECNUM in tmp table */
    DECLARE ccrcurs CURSOR FOR SELECT SMC_RECNUM FROM ccrtmptbl

/* Open the cursor for use */
    OPEN ccrcurs

/* Step through the tmp table and update SMC_RECNUM */

while (@@sqlstatus=0)
    begin

/* first get a record from ccr_@table_name */
    fetch ccrcurs

/* increment the counter */
    select @count = @count+1

/* update only ccr table with @count */
    update ccrtmptbl set SMC_RECNUM=@count WHERE CURRENT OF ccrcurs

end

/* Close and Deallocate the cursor */
    CLOSE ccrcurs
    DEALLOCATE CURSOR ccrcurs

Re: And the Saga continues

Try the same by declaring the cursor for update

Regarding ur initial problem of using variable names, what I suggested was some thing like following:

DECLARE @sql_str char(100)
    DECLARE @ccrtbl char(20)
    select @ccrtbl = "ur_table_name"
    @sql_str = "SELECT * INTO ccrsorttmp FROM " + @ccrtbl + " ORDER BY ASGNT_DATE" /* please see that I put a space before order by, not with the table name. */

/* Print the out put */
    /*Do this allways, from which u wil come to know the syntax/space issues, before u execute the immediate sqls */
    print @sql_str
    EXECUTE IMMEDIATE (@sql_str)