Unanswered: Doesn't Work and No Support

Wizbang,

Your post about setting up Apache is useless, at least to me at this point because I went there, followed the directions to the "T" and could not get Apache to work. I dropped them a support line in their discussion group and they never replied and I'm still not working in Apache, so can't get to the MySQL install part yet.

I have apache monitor running, shows in the status portion of the taskbar, but get no response from:

http://localhost

I have not figured out how to find or read my Apache config, because I assume that is where the problem is. When I finally get help I'm sure I can move past this.

have you tried using something thats more simple? Like phptriad, it installs apache php mysql and phpmyadmin with one click.
    Mr. Lars

Where do I find it?

Pseudo Resolution

I found that Apache was not actually being loaded. Loaded it manually. It runs then. Still need to load it as a background process.

Funny thing, Apache Monitor does not recognize the server when it is running, when I manually load it.

Any Ideas about that?

nope I really have no idea. If you want phptriad try searching on google.
    Mr. Lars

Apache generally runs as a "service" or in Unix/Linux parlance, a "daemon." This means that it is started up when the computer starts, and remains running all the time.

In most modern Linux installations, you'll find some kind of control-panel which is used to configure services/daemons. You need to use this tool to start the Apache server and to specify that it is to be loaded on computer startup. If you use the MySQL database you will need to do the same for it.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Bad Bad Bad Suggestion

Originally posted by lslars31
    nope I really have no idea. If you want phptriad try searching on google.
    Lars,

You obviously don't function in an internet security mode, becuase if you did you would have never suggested this solution. I downloaded it and was horrified, it wrote to the "C:" drive with no interface to change to any other drive.

Writing to the "C:" drive is an unpardonable sin in the security world. If is never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never never

done.

Then I went to the support site for this product and they insisted that cookies be turned on without restriction or their site did nothing. Again this is an unpardonable sin which is never never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never nevernever never never never never never never never never never never never

done.

So this is a totally useless suggestion and wasted my time backing out and fixing the damage this program cuased. Total time screwing with it is three hours. I get $250.00 per hour. Do I send you bill?

What do you mean by it is a sin to write to the c drive??? I do it all the time... whenever I save something.
    Mr. Lars

He means its a sin to AUTOMATICALLY write to the C: drive, without asking the end-user.
    Last edited by ermau; 07-04-04 at 16:05.

It's a sin ...

.. to write to the C: drive without asking the user.

You couldn;t do it with my system, as I've removed permissions to write to the C: drive under normal circumstances. If I want to install anything from the internet I expectt o be able to save the installation program, and perform an install that asks me where to put things - if not I'm not interested!

I think dbsupport4me should hire someone who knows what the hell he is doing for $125/hr

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
    -Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

Status - Where I'm at

All,

As a consultant, been out slaying dragons for the clients, so didn't have time to keep at this one.

I now get the following error from Apache:
    [Wed Oct 19 17:14:45 2005] [crit] (OS 10038)Socket operation on non-socket: make
    _sock: for address 0.0.0.0:80, apr_socket_opt_set: (SO_KEEPALIVE)
    no listening sockets available, shutting down
    Unable to open logs
    This comes from the Command Prompt

Any ideas about this?

DBS4M