Unanswered: Deployement strategy for an Application developed using Oracle 9i DS Release 2.

I am Senthil Anand an Oracle Certified Professional DBA, and am currently working in NIFCO. We have bought licenses for Oracle 9i Database Release 2 and Oracle 9i Developer Suite Release 2 during August 2002. And moreover i joined the company just a month back.

The situation in our company is that applications supporting our business are in the development phase by a software company based in Oman for the past 2 years. The initial SRS for the project submitted by them required Oracle 9iDS, but they have developed the product on Oracle 6i. Since that Oracle 9i DS release 1 had Oracle 6i Developer.

The issue is we need the product to run on Oracle 9i DS. To put it straight will we require Oracle 9i AS to deploy the application if it is on Oracle 9i DS release 2, and if it is so can a Oracle 9i AS run on a LAN network.

I kindly request your advice in this issue.

Expecting your earliest reply,

Regards,

Senthil.G

In a corporate setting, the database is generally on a dedicated server, and 9iAS is on another server. Using 9iDS will force you to have multiple Oracle Homes on the database server, even though all products might be using Oracle9i R2.

At my home I run Oracle9iR2 and Oracle9iDS (Designer only, no forms or reports) on a single computer with two Oracle Homes. I installed Oracle9iR2 into the first home and created three empty Oracle databases. I then installed 9iDS into a new home and used it to install the Oracle designer repository into one of my databases owned by the first home. The second database is used for RMAN and OEM. The third database is my application development database.

My only problem with having a single computer at home is 9iAS can be different in each Oracle Home. The 9iAS shipped with Oracle Collaboration Suite and Oracle Internet Directory is not the same as the 9iAS shipped with the database, even though the version numbers are the same. If you want both copies of 9iAS to run, you have to edit the config files to use non-standard port numbers, etc. It's a lot of maintenance issues for a home development computer.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Here are some idle comments from the peanut gallery...

It depends....

Using generic Oracle marketing labels, such as 9iAS without specifying specific versions can lead to confusion.

It is not clear to this reader the detailed characteristics of your application.
    Is it Client/Server based or Web based?

Does it use Oracle Forms & Reports?

Keep in mind that 9iAS R2 (V9.0.2+) only supports webforms.
    9iAS R2 V9.0.2 is full of BUGS & is very challenging to properly configure
    If you need to use Oracle's Application Server s/w,
    I would suggest you only consider using 10g AS.

HTH & YMMV
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

hi ana,

foremost the application is still under development and we have not yet gone live ..... the current requirement of my company is just a client/server based application... and the development company have also done the same using Oracle 6i ... but the initial SRS requirement states that the application must be web deployable..... this can be done with 6i using 9ias also..... this is it , we hold licenses for oracle 9i ds r2 and now my management wants the product to use the same... so it is almost like using an axe to kill a chick.. the management is ready to spend money even to buy 9i AS to deploy the product on oracle 9i ds r2....

now my queries.... can an application developed using oracle 9i DS release 2 be deployed using MS-IIS (web server).... or it can be deployed only on Oracle 9i AS..... currently the application will be used as a C/S later it may be opened for external clients.... and can a Ora 9i AS be deployed on a LAN .....

these points have almost blocked the project progress.. and based on this decision the application will be migrated to 9i or we accept the same...

regards,
    Senthil.G

Originally posted by anacedent
    Here are some idle comments from the peanut gallery...

It depends....

Using generic Oracle marketing labels, such as 9iAS without specifying specific versions can lead to confusion.

It is not clear to this reader the detailed characteristics of your application.
    Is it Client/Server based or Web based?

Does it use Oracle Forms & Reports?

Keep in mind that 9iAS R2 (V9.0.2+) only supports webforms.
    9iAS R2 V9.0.2 is full of BUGS & is very challenging to properly configure
    If you need to use Oracle's Application Server s/w,
    I would suggest you only consider using 10g AS.

HTH & YMMV

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Here are some known facts from my perspective...
    1) The exact same source code for Forms & Reports can be used in client/server and web environment. The source code just needs to be compiled twice; once for each environment.
    2) 9iAS is NOT needed to support client/server deployment.
    3) 9iAS is required to support webforms
    I seriously doubt Oracle (web) Forms can be run from MS IIS,
    but even if they can Oracle won't support that environment.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.