Unanswered: Printing Filemaker records separatly

In my company, we use Filemaker to maintain and build a database with (at the moment ) more than 25.000 responses to an survey. From these answers we compute the respondents profile/report (6 pages) this is a separate lay-out in Filemaker.

The way we work now, we need to staple all pages of the report together. Yesterday, this meant sorting and stapling more than 100 reports! I want to buy a new (color) printer and automize the process.

Now my question; how do I print each record separately so the printer can staple the reports for me? In Filemaker when you print "records being browsed"and set the printer to staple, it will staple at the end of printing all 20 reports, so all 20 reports together.

I have though about exporting them as a PDF first, but how can I, with submitting only one print-job, export all records to separate files?

I hope somebody can help, because this would make the job a lott less tedious! Thanks,
    Marjan

Re: Printing Filemaker records separatly

You should, at the least, be able to avoid the manual sorting; from the print dialog, near the bottom right is a checkbox for "Collate."

As for stapling, without having such a printer myself, i'm only guessing at this, but i guess this might work: From the Print dialog, click Properties..., then Properties again. In this new dialog, you may be able to control your stapling settings.

J

Originally posted by marjan
    In my company, we use Filemaker to maintain and build a database with (at the moment ) more than 25.000 responses to an survey. From these answers we compute the respondents profile/report (6 pages) this is a separate lay-out in Filemaker.

The way we work now, we need to staple all pages of the report together. Yesterday, this meant sorting and stapling more than 100 reports! I want to buy a new (color) printer and automize the process.

Now my question; how do I print each record separately so the printer can staple the reports for me? In Filemaker when you print "records being browsed"and set the printer to staple, it will staple at the end of printing all 20 reports, so all 20 reports together.

I have though about exporting them as a PDF first, but how can I, with submitting only one print-job, export all records to separate files?

I hope somebody can help, because this would make the job a lott less tedious! Thanks,
    Marjan

Jerry is partially correct most printer drivers will have a collate option, certainly your faster network printers are often Postscript printers and the Windows Postscript driver has a collate option. Printers like the HP LaserJet 9000 can even staple the document together for you.

It doesn't sound like you problem is that difficult, but I have seen jobs were the 'Print Records Browsed' feature can't work because I needed to reset the page number for each job.

The following script would create multiple print jobs without an export and would allow proper numbering.

Go to Record First
    Loop
    Page Setup (restore withou dialog)
    Print (without dialog, single record)
    Go to Next Record, exit after last
    End Loop

This is the tip of the iceberge of the printing tips for FileMaker, so if this doesn't help you, let me know...

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks for the script Joeking,

This works!

Marjan

Originally posted by marjan
    Thanks for the script Joeking,

This works!

Marjan

Now that you have a working script you may want to think about creating a Preview engine. There are several 'sample files' out there, but it basically uses the same logic and the loop I outlined previously. The only change is that instead of using the print command, you will go to Preview Mode and then enter another loop. You will loop through each page of the document and then use the copy command. The next step is to paste the data into the 'preview engine' with the Perform Script command. The 'external' should read something like:

New Record
    Paste in field container

After the 'print loop' is done then you can navigate to the 'Preview' file and see all your pages in Browse mode. It's easy to add a logo or a watermark, plus you get a printer indendent way to 'preview' your data. This also opens up the possibilty to combine reports from separate files and/or found sets.

Hope this helps... If you would like I can upload one of my 'preview' files...

thanks,

Joe