Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: SQL Server Authentication

I have an SQL Server (2000 Edition) that does not belong to a domain; Server A. (It loggs onto its own computer domain). From this server I would like to add another sql server registration through Enterprise Manager that does belong to a domain; Server B (also 2000 Edition).

The only way I can register Server B on the Server A computer is by logging onto the domain that Server B belongs to.

Is it possible to just use SQL Server authentication and not have Server A logon to the Server B domain? If so what could I be doing wrong?

When Server A is logged onto its own local computer domain I can ping Server B and also resolve the server by name.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks,

Timbo.

not for registration
    you can try to create a local user on the member server (domain member ) with admin rights
    and map that user to a domain user account
    the local account and the dom account that you log in as should accomodate each other

i am answering your question but this is not a recommended method of network security\administration. i would urge you to make the stand alone server a member of the domain or create a trust relationship between the domains that host both servers (one way two way or forest)

Timbo,

What do you mean "its own computer domain?" Does Server A belong to any domain or you configured it for workgroups?

Ruprect,

Where in SA?

nw side bandera and 1604 (leon valley)

i think he means that the server is a stand alone and therefore it is in it's own local SAM accounts (domain) not actually a dc or a member of a domain.

It looks like Server A joining the domain is the best option.
    Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Timbo.

Originally posted by Ruprect
    nw side bandera and 1604 (leon valley)

i think he means that the server is a stand alone and therefore it is in it's own local SAM accounts (domain) not actually a dc or a member of a domain.
    Is it World Savings Bank?

rdjabarov

new horizons
    training center used to be the pacificare bldg.

Hey, I've gone there, about 3 years ago. They guy (don't remember his name, with a beard) was trying to teach us SQL2K. That was funny, very funny At the end he was so pissed at me he asked me to leave

.uncomfortable silence.

i have been afiliated with them for 6 years
    i do have a goatee
    i dont believe that i have ever asked anyone to leave one of my classes
    considering new horizon's devotion to the dollar, if that did happen, you would have had to have been a real pain in the ass to be asked to leave.

[ooops]
    Did you teach a SQL2K class to any 3 USAA employees? About 3 years ago?...And did "one" () of them always disturb the rest of the class by popping messages on your students' PC's, including yours?
    [/ooops]

no that doesnt ring a bell
    but even so i wouldnt kick anyone out of the room for net send...
    sometimes that kind of stuff is funny if everyone in the room is from the same demographic.

however, training does have it's drawbacks. about two months ago (in a active directory class)an erstwhile student was jumping onto other computers in the classroom and changing registry settings and etc. (which isnt even hacking since in most classes the students are given admin rights for the entire domain anyway)
    So long story short he was irritating the crap out of everyone so i group policied his computer to stop all unneccessary services (telnet messenger etc.) and placed him in a restricted group and removed remote registry priveledges.
    when he came in after lunch he was seriously tied up but wasnt about to ask me why his remote registry wasnt working.

but this is an extreme case... normally i just politely ask the offender to cut that shiat out.

anyway it's all good.

you seem like you know what you are postin' about and that's good enough for me.
    Last edited by Ruprect; 04-01-04 at 15:29.

Is your building called Fountainhead building on I10? That's the one I went to.

Anyway, that's interesting. The class I attended (USAA made it mandatory for us) was "SQL Server 2000 Administration" but turned out to be the best activity organized by USAA because of the amount of fun I had I felt guilty when the class was over and actually appologized to the guy afterwards. But the things I did were actually all experimental (except for the annoyance of net send which was the last straw): since none of the students bothered to change SA password from blank, I enabled unlimited growth of PUBS database on all of their servers, set up Pull trx replication from their PC's against my PUBS database, then created a loop-based script to continuously update authors. Within minutes half of the servers were down or hung That was during the first half of the class when the instructor was talking about self-administering features of SQL2K. The second half of the class I was removing the replication and entertaining the students with net sends sent by their own machines...I am very easily ammused, very simple man

Provided Answers: 54
    Remind me never to teach a class that you're taking!

On second thought, that might be fun... Nevermind!

-PatP

yup fountainhead .

i understand that these classes can be very boring for experienced professionals, BUT
    you have to realize that some of the people in those classes are paying for that information out of their own pockets.
    and they dont have the skill sets the you may have so i couldnt see any justification for what you did.
    that is the equivelent of giving completely wrong information to new posters here at the dbforums just to watch them have trouble.

ps did the guy have a goofy eye
    Last edited by Ruprect; 04-01-04 at 21:27.

Yes, professor, I'll never do it again...Please don't call my mom...Wait a minute, go ahead, it'll cost yah!

Well, those "students" were all free-loaders, like us.

p.s. Do you have a goofy eye? I don't remember, just the beard, not a goatee