Unanswered: Data Label at the Outside End Position.

By default when you enable the data label in a 3-D Bar Chart, the data label starts in the middle of the bar chart shadow.
    There is no Label Position option for a 3-D Chart, like any other chart type.
    I would like to have the label at the "Outside End Position".

Does any one know of any fix, or of any Addin tool?

Thanks
    Leslie

Search this forum MS Access for Charts. You'll get it if you read enough. There are 2 pages of hits.

Can you paste a picture of your dilema, so we can get an explicit of what you want?

Thanks for the bmp it made sense. I found this out in Excel using macros. What you need is something like this:

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).DataLabels.Select
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).Points(1).DataLabe l.Select
    Selection.Left = 138

If you omit the second line the position labels of 70k, 80k, and 65k dollars would be moved left to "Outside End Position". The second line moves only the $70k label. If your smart you probably already figured swapping a one and two for the "3" to manage the lesser valued labels.

Hey, stick this code ...
    where appropriate-- where/when you want the control. I'm thinking on load or format or something. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in Access '97.

HTH
    Chow.

I hope this helps, but I expect you will say, "How, did you do that?" if this is what you want. I modified the 3-d option, but could not view the graph I have A97 on Win 2k (you had Win 98, no?) I only viewed the label. Fortunately, I was able to get to you graph in design mode. Tell me if this is "IT".

file on next msg

HTH
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Everyone

Please look at the attached Revised DB. You should be able to view the full report.

At the attached DB you will see 3 buttons, the First button is for the report to make the changes, and the last button is the Column Chart.

Now, let me clarify my problem, I would like the Data Value label (Dollar Value) to be displayed the same way as it is displayed on the Column report.

Thanks again

Sorry, your 3-d button shows me the chart, but in design view I get a blank chart.

So, I used the 3-d w/ label. I guess this is close but no cigar. The reason being than on a 3-d chart, the label position is difficult to deal with than just 2 dimensions on a 2-D page. Defining a reference xyz origin and view angle would be necessary. So, MS turned the "Outside end" position off in the 3-d chart section.

Two solutions probably exist.

First, the more difficult one-- write VB code to figure out where it should go in the page. W-A-Y, Too mathematically involved w/ the 2 to 3 Dimension transformation already mentioned. That's at least a college course or three for CS majors!

Second, you could simply lay out the design view as you wish it to be. How you ask? Can you get to the design view for your 3-d as shown in the attached bmp for the column graph? If yes, then just select the labels, one at a time. (Notice the $70k label in the bmp was selected.) Place them where you think that desired position is, preview, readjust/repeat as neccessary til done. Just move the labels after everything else looks favorable.

If I lost you let me know where.

Hopefully, now clearer than mud!
    Last edited by poliarci; 04-26-04 at 16:23. Reason: spelling

Hi, Chow

I really appreciate your help

The second report “3-d w/ label” is actually the best chart to play with.
    Let’s start with the 2 solutions

1st solution
    I don’t understand how to work with the first solution.

2nd solution
    I don’t want to select the label manually, because the records will not always be the same and the label have to be moved.

Also, at the attached bmp you can see how to get to shrink the Plot Area to make room for the label.

If you open the column chart you will see that I have no problem to move the label at the outside position, but I need the same in the 3-d
    Your attachment looks like a column chart, am I correct?

Please advice

Thanks