Arrow Unanswered: Oracle 9.2 on openvms

Hi,

I just moved from Oracle on windows to Oracle on openvms. I need to create an instance but have no idea how to go about it! I do not want to use DBCA but want to write my own scripts. what is the equivalent for ORADIM utility on openvms? Can someone please help me?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rebecca_lingamE; 03-30-04 at 17:07.

I don't know Oracle on VMS specifically, but the oradim utility is Windows only... all you should have to do is create you init file, directories, etc... set your SID, connect sys as sysdba and issue a startup nomount... you should then be able to create your database, additional tablespaces, users and so forth

you may also have to add the listener to any startup scripts get any instances started up automatically
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

Provided Answers: 4
    Hi, Rebecca!

I run Oracle 7 on OpenVMS. I wouldn't know if things have changed much from Ora7 to Ora9, but I know how to create a database, additional tablespaces etc. in Ora7.

If you want, I can mail you my scripts. Perhaps those could help you.

Originally posted by Littlefoot
    Hi, Rebecca!

I run Oracle 7 on OpenVMS. I wouldn't know if things have changed much from Ora7 to Ora9, but I know how to create a database, additional tablespaces etc. in Ora7.

If you want, I can mail you my scripts. Perhaps those could help you.

Thanks everyone for your help! I didnt think many people were working on openvms!
    I would really appreciate it if you can send me your DB scripts.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by drew
    I don't know Oracle on VMS specifically, but the oradim utility is Windows only... all you should have to do is create you init file, directories, etc... set your SID, connect sys as sysdba and issue a startup nomount... you should then be able to create your database, additional tablespaces, users and so forth

you may also have to add the listener to any startup scripts get any instances started up automatically
    Thanks Drew! That was really helpful!

Provided Answers: 4
    Right; I'll send those scripts to you on Friday (day off tomorrow ).
    Cheers!