Unanswered: importing MDF database

As a newbie, I'm having problems importing a copy of my SQLServer2k development database from my laptop (via a CD), to my production SQL Server2k database.

I've tried the DTS Import/Export wizard & also the Copy wizard, but can't seem to see the dialog that prompts & identifies the source path & filename.

I've tried setting up an ODBC DSN for the database, but get the same problem.

Coming from an Access background, I've been used to the copying of *.mdb files, and half expected that level of simplicity with SQLS2K - but clearly, I'm wrong and am missing something, which the on-line help isn't able to clarify for me...

Can anyone please give me any pointers for me to get a copy of my development database along with its stored procedures, from my laptop (not networked), to my desktop server. Both use SQLS2k.

Thanks in advance, Alex

Re: importing MDF database

So let me get this strait. You want to restore a copy of your database thats are on a CD?

The easiest for you would be to either copy the MDF file along with LDF file onto a local drive of the server from the CD and use Enterprise Manager (EM) to Attach Database, or create a backup on your laptop and then restore from that backup file.

Provided Answers: 54
    Originally posted by rdjabarov
    The easiest for you would be to either copy the MDF file along with LDF file onto a local drive of the server from the CD and use Enterprise Manager (EM) to Attach Database, or create a backup on your laptop and then restore from that backup file.
    ...and remember to mark the files Read/Write again! I've never been bitten by that, but I read about this guy that was once!

-PatP

This link http://vyaskn.tripod.com/moving_sql_server.htm refers moving database from one system to another, just follow instead moving consider copying the files.

Also refer to the corresponding KBAs which refers to resolve any login issue arises.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

copying mdf databases

Thanks all very much for your prompt replies. Just as I was applying the suggested "Attach" method, the motherboard in my Dell server went kaput! So I won't be able to try it until the weekend - when I hope to report back success.

Interestingly the link provided in one of the responses, was very useful and included code to automate the attachment within a stored procedure (if necessary). I aim to try the menu-dropdown "manual" attachment first, & see how I get on with that.

All the best - & thanks again
    Alex

Thumbs up importing a SQLS2k database

Thanks to all who replied & helped (especially Pat, Rdjabarov, & Satya).

I've just had the server's power supply replaced & tried your suggestions - the attach worked fine (from the Enterprise>Actions>AllTasks>Attach)

Best regards, & thanks again
    Alex