Question Unanswered: exposed password?

I just installed MySq 4.0l on my Win2K laptop. During the set up it asked me for a username and password, and I entered my windows username/password. now, when I start WinMySqlAdmin and go to the "my.ini setup" tab my password is listed there in plain text.

I am pretty new to all this, but I have a feeling my password shouldn't just be sitting there as plain text easily readable.

What should I do? can I just delete it, or should I change it, and if so how?

t h a n k s !

Provided Answers: 54
    You should check the MySQL Password documentation and change your MySQL password, soon. Pay special attention to the Securing the Initial MySQL Accounts section of the documentation.

-PatP

Thanks. Just to make sure I am going to reinstall MySql (windows). In the installation process, when it asks for a username/password, do I enter my windows username (administrator) and password, or do I make up a new username/password for this?

I have a MySql book, but it is not clear on this point at all. I have also looked through a lot of websites and none of them have made it clear what passwords to use at this point in the installation?

I hope I am being clear in what I mean.

Provided Answers: 54
    Follow the two links from my earlier post. They'll take you to the online ( HTTP: ) documentation for MySQL.

While it is a matter of personal taste, I would STRONGLY suggest that you pick a new name and password for MySQL instead of using your NT name and password.

-PatP