Unanswered: The Table is already opened exclusively

I have one main table and three forms. One form is to add the data, one form to search (using listbox and search criteria) and third form is to edit the information.

Lately I am having problems with accessing the data. When I open search form from Add new record form or edit record form, it gives me an error saying that "The table 'Main' is already opened exclusively by another user, or it is already opened through the user interface and cannot be manipulated programmiticaly".

Earlier it use to work just fine but all of a sudden it is showing me above error.

Ultimately i want the database to be shared on the network so other people can view, edit or add record to the the database.

Please help me I am stuck and confused.

I had this happen just recently and found the problem to be a corrupt record in my table.

I am still not sure how it got corrupted but basically data in one of the fields had been replaced by #Error if you clicked on the field you'd get an error msg box.

To repair it I just deleted the entire record and re input. Everythings working fine now

Hope this helps

Originally posted by kadanis
    I had this happen just recently and found the problem to be a corrupt record in my table.

I am still not sure how it got corrupted but basically data in one of the fields had been replaced by #Error if you clicked on the field you'd get an error msg box.

To repair it I just deleted the entire record and re input. Everythings working fine now

Hope this helps
    I have checked all of my data and couldnt find any corrupted data in the tables. I have also created whole of the new database and tried it and still couldnt resolve the problem.

I have also created users and prevented them to open database exclusively. But it doesnt fix the problems. I would really appreciate if someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

How Large is the Database?

Can you upload the database so we can check it out?

Thanks,
    JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

I cannot upload but can email to you direct

Hello,

thanks for offering to help but i cannot upload it here as database contains sensitive information that I cannot distribute over internet. Although I will be happy to email you personally if you give me your email address.

Thanks

email...

I can totally understand that. I am not positive I can help but I am better at trying when I have the problem right in front of me than I am with words.

Patriot@the-patriot.net

Hope I can help,
    JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

HereticV, a few questions:

Are multiple users using the database right now?
    Are concurrent users using the database?
    Have you split it into a front-end and back-end?
    If so, are users using an MDE file rather than an MDB file as their front-ends.

Access isn't really robust when operating in a concurrent-user environment above a certain (very small by my estimation) threshold. It fares much better if you implement a split database and either create an MDE front-end or make the MDB front-end read only.

That's helped here.

mde files

Mageem,

thanks for the suggestions. Thats exactly now I have done. I have splitted database into front-end back-end and put back-end onto netwrok drive. from mdb file I have made .mde file. I have made a batch file and email it to everyone so that they can copy mde file onto their desktops and use mde file from there. Although I was still getting the "exclusive" error. But now I have removed the capabilities to navigate between two forms by removing the buttons from each forms.

This seems to solve the problem for the wile. But it is still in the development stage and as it grows big I wil need help from you guys out there.

Thanks once again. If you have any more suggestions please feel free to post them.

Regards
    HereticV

Table is Already opened exclusively

Splitting your database into two (front and back end, with several people accessing the tables through the front end) is the ony effective way to distribute an Access database being used by tow or more people.

I have created databases used by a number of people over a network and had few problems with exclusive access errors. There really is no need to convert the fron end (forms etc) into an .mde file, though it might help if you replaced the Access front end with a VB created program (NOTE: VB NOT .net!!). I have done this on occassion and although maintenance is a bit more work it does have advantages (speed, security etc).

Re: Table is Already opened exclusively

Originally posted by Ryker
    Splitting your database into two (front and back end, with several people accessing the tables through the front end) is the ony effective way to distribute an Access database being used by tow or more people.

I have created databases used by a number of people over a network and had few problems with exclusive access errors. There really is no need to convert the fron end (forms etc) into an .mde file, though it might help if you replaced the Access front end with a VB created program (NOTE: VB NOT .net!!). I have done this on occassion and although maintenance is a bit more work it does have advantages (speed, security etc).

Thanks Ryker,

your comments are much appreciated. I like the idea of creating application in VB. Will you be able to explain me a bit how to go about it?

Thanks

Unhappy Re: Table is Already opened exclusively

Ryker,

As I mentioned earlier that I have splitted the database in front end and back end. I am still having problems with sharing the database. When two or more users use database at the same time, it gives error saying "user has locked the table at the workstation". I am getting sick and tired now. I wonder if you or anyone else can shed some light on why it is happening and whats the way around this problem.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Originally posted by Ryker

Re: Table is Already opened exclusively

Originally posted by HereticV
    Ryker,

As I mentioned earlier that I have splitted the database in front end and back end. I am still having problems with sharing the database. When two or more users use database at the same time, it gives error saying "user has locked the table at the workstation". I am getting sick and tired now. I wonder if you or anyone else can shed some light on why it is happening and whats the way around this problem.

Thanks everyone in advance.
    What is you locking scheme on the BE? Sounds like it might be Page or Table level locking ... Switch it to Row level ...

Tools->Options->Advanced page ...

This error might occur when there are two forms open at the same time (one might be invisible) and in both forms options, record lock is set to "all records"...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by YZF
    This error might occur when there are two forms open at the same time (one might be invisible) and in both forms options, record lock is set to "all records"...

Do you really NEED to keep the other forms open while Adding a new record? Why not when using the first/main form and you click to Add a record, have that CommandButton open that form and Close the main form. Then, after you finish Adding your new record, after you click to Save it, have it at that time re-open the main form with the new data. Just a thought. Also, can't you just use the one form to do it all in...i.e. open it as Form_Current, AllowEdits = False. Then when you wish to add data/record, click the Edit CommandButton to set the form to AllowEdits = True. Something I have done and keeps the forms to a minimum.

have a nice one,
    BUD

Thumbs up I love you YZF

Quote Originally Posted by YZF View Post
    Thank you! I was going crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't open a form. Disabling record locks fixed it.