Thread: passwords

Unanswered: passwords

Quick question about sybase passwords: Where are they stored?

The DB is running on Solaris. They aren't stored in /etc/passwd like the OS passwords are

look into table dbo.master.syslogins

but keep in mind the passwords are stored encrypted

Thanks

Any ideas how to migrate logins including password from one server to another server? Bcp out/in of syslogins table won’t work since conflict in suid.

Provided Answers: 4
    Originally posted by ssglb
    Any ideas how to migrate logins including password from one server to another server? Bcp out/in of syslogins table won’t work since conflict in suid.
    select into all columns except suid from syslogins to a temporal table, bcp out the temptable.
    bcp into a temptable at the new server, and select into syslogins.

Well the scenario here is not importing login Ids to the brand new server. If the destination server is a brand new server I can use the procedure you suggested, bcp out and bcp in of syslogins table. The destination server already has many login Ids and if we import (using bcp) syslogins form the source server, there will be conflict in the suid.

The destination server is an existing server and we are merging many databases from different servers to this one server.

Any way I found a solution (tested in dev but yet to implement in production):
    1) I created login Ids (sp_addlogin) in to the destination server for the entire login Ids (except for sa & probe ids) from the source server with dummy password.
    2) Then exported (bcp out) only login id and password (name, password) from syslogins
    3) Imported (bcp in) above data into temp table
    4) And finally updated the password column of syslosings

Do you see any problem with the above procedure?

Thanks

ssglb