Thread: Updating prices

Unanswered: Updating prices

OK here is what I have going:

Table: options
    It contains every product in my store (PC). The informatin contained in this database is displayed on the web as products. One feature of my online store is a PC builder (the usual drop down and select). The way it is setup is you have Processors for example

optID: The item # is the primary key (auto defined, sequencial)
    optGroup - item group belongs in
    optName - the products name
    optPriceDiff - normally set up as say a PIV 2.2 is 100 the PIV 2.3 is 110 so the differnce is 10. I am entering in retail cost in this field. So the price diff is 110 as the base price of the PC is 0 instead of say $750
    OptWeightDiff - is the difference in weight of the different choices (a 19" monitor weighs more than a 15" for shipping purposes)

What I would like to do is be able to enter in my cost for each product and have it auto update to the optPriceDiff. The main catch is that I can't add any extra fields or it will screw up my coding for my webpages. I have tried hiding them but it doesn't work.

Is there a way that I can run a query that will pull the prices let me enter in my cost and then have it update that table with the retail price (for exmaple it says P4 2.2 I enter in 80 as my cost and it does 80/.8 for a price of 100.

Is this possible? Could I also change the optName at the same time?

Thanks

Some questions if I may:

Would you be able to use an off line version and post it when ready?

Why do you feel you might need extra fields?

Would a HTML form that allows you to update not work? Admitedly you would need to password protect the page.

I take it that you see this as an Access Issue not an ASP issue so maybe I need to know a little more about how you are connecting etc.
    Matt the Hat says: "what!?"
    A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!
    SCARY HARD CHALLENGE: http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=988682

Originally posted by Matt_T_hat
    Some questions if I may:

Would you be able to use an off line version and post it when ready?

Why do you feel you might need extra fields?

Would a HTML form that allows you to update not work? Admitedly you would need to password protect the page.

I take it that you see this as an Access Issue not an ASP issue so maybe I need to know a little more about how you are connecting etc.
    Yes I can use an offline version of the database and post it when ready.

The reason I figured the extra field was so I could enter my cost of the products and have it updated to optPriceDiff

I have an HTML that edits each product, however it has no math functions built in. It would be a lot easier on my secretary if she could just enter in the cost and have it updated to the retail.

And yes it is an access issue... I don't know enough about ASP (or access for that matter) to reprogram like I want it to.

The template I am using is from ecommercetemplates.com.

Thanks,

Jason

Math with ASP

What I think might be a good move for you is to visit http://www.ASP101.com and find out the lowdown on useing ASP to do the math for you. It's nice and gental on new users and I found it a great place to start.

Well it became real simple when I realized all you had to do was add the column and then hide it :-)

Talking

LOL

...as it is with all the best answers, they jump on you suddenly!

Keep posting and keep asking questions - it's how we all started (for a given value of all).