Thread: SMTP with VB6

Question Unanswered: SMTP with VB6

Hi!

I'm trying to find an SMTP-component from VB but either I'm blind or it seems not to be too easy. Someone please give me a small hint or example on how to send an SMTP-message from VB6. Thanks.

-m

Provided Answers: 54
    Just about everybody that once posted that kind of code has buried it, due to the spammers. It can still be done, but you have to look a lot harder these days!

-PatP

Originally posted by Pat Phelan
    Just about everybody that once posted that kind of code has buried it, due to the spammers. It can still be done, but you have to look a lot harder these days!

-PatP
    Hmm... you mean that such an example could be used to send even more spam? Well I am not familiar with the big picture, I would have imagined SMTP-servers would not allow just anyone to connect and also I would believe internet is already full of programs to send spam and that one simple example or control-name would not change anything... but of course I may be wrong.

Still this seems too simple task to be so "big issue". I have done this with Delphi in minutes and now I just would need to do it with VB but I have not found the controls for it.

My problem is that I have a simple vb program running daily updates during the night. I would want it sent me an email alert if something goes wrong... I thought to use our company's smtp-server to rely the message.

You need to use these 2 components

CDO - CDO.Message
    CDOConfig - CDO.Configuration

u can search for vbSendMail.dll and then find the code example

I've used the ostrosoft SMTP component. It's a COM library for sending SMTP. The include several example programs, including VB6, dotNet, and T-SQL. Yeah, I know that SQL Server supports email, but, it's done using MAPI, and if you don't have outlook installed on the server, it's easy to register the ostrosoft component & use it to send EMails via your SMTP server from stored procedures.
    Last edited by loquin; 09-17-08 at 13:35.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert