Red face Unanswered: Data Entry Mode in form based on multiple table query

Hello! I am new to this forum, unfortunately coming in as a somewhat frustrated PhD student building my first application in Access. Hopefully someone can help me.....?

The database I am building describes a number (~5000) of geographical locations and their many attributes (~70). The purpose of the database is to send out for people to review and update the data.

I need to be able to provide the facility to update the data in 2 ways: firstly editing what is already in there, and secondly adding new locations which are currently absent from the database.

The main form consists of a series of tab controls, each of which contains a subgroup of the attributes about a location. This form's data source is a query run on multiple tables containing this information. The tables are linked one-to-one. I split the data because of large numbers of fields in each.

To allow edits, the form also contains a sub form, 'edits', which allows for edits to be entered. This is based on a table linked to the data source in a one (source) to many (edits) relationship. This all works fine.

However, I wanted to create an 'add new site' form - triggered by a like-named command button on the edits subform. I did this by making a copy of the whole form, and deleting the subform. I then changed the data entry and additions mode to Yes. However, when looking at the form in form view, only existing sites are visible. Also, the >* command button in the record navigation buttons is greyed out - so there is no way of adding a new record.

I have just discovered (by elimination of all other possibilities) that it seems that this problem is caused by the multiple-table query which posed as the data source for the original form. When I deleted the linked tables from the data source, so that only the fields from one of the tab controls was now available, and reopened the form, it did indeed open in data entry mode.

Is there any explanation for this?

Is there a way for me to open a form based on a multiple table query in data entry mode?

Otherwise, I was thinking of building a series of forms (one for each tab control) with command buttons that look like the tabs in the original form, each with the same tab names as in the original form, and an open form command on each to open a separate, but identically formatted, form for each tab control.

Thank you for your help!

Louisa

Re: Data Entry Mode in form based on multiple table query

Originally posted by PrudelStrudel

However, I wanted to create an 'add new site' form - triggered by a like-named command button on the edits subform. I did this by making a copy of the whole form, and deleting the subform. I then changed the data entry and additions mode to Yes. However, when looking at the form in form view, only existing sites are visible. Also, the >* command button in the record navigation buttons is greyed out - so there is no way of adding a new record.

Is there a way for me to open a form based on a multiple table query in data entry mode?

Thank you for your help!

Louisa
    Always if you open a form or subform with property Data Entry set to "yes", the property AllowAdditions to "yes" and the property AllowEdits to "yes" show a blank new record for completed the data for that record ( the form add that record ) and the navigation button "*" don´t work.
    Saludos
    Norberto

Re: Data Entry Mode in form based on multiple table query

Originally posted by Norberto
    Always if you open a form or subform with property Data Entry set to "yes", the property AllowAdditions to "yes" and the property AllowEdits to "yes" show a blank new record for completed the data for that record ( the form add that record ) and the navigation button "*" don´t work.
    My problem is that I DON'T get a blank record - I get a list of ALL the sites...... any ideas?
    Thanks

Solution?

I am experiencing this same problem. I have a linked table in my database to get data from another database. I have to use a query to convert at "PartNumber" text field to a "PartNumber" number field. When I use the "PartDescription" field from this query on a data entry form, all of my records are displayed and I am unable to add new records. If I use the "PartDescription" from a table copied from the linked table instead of the query, then I am able to use data entry mode. I really need to use the "PartDescription" from my query, so that it is updated along with any changes to the original database.

Did you find a solution to your problem? I believe we are having the same issues and I hope I explained my database well enough.

Thanks,
    Steve