Unanswered: SQL Performance issue

My company has just started using SQL Server 2000 with our in house customized program.

We have users in two diffrent domains using it at this time for testing. The server located on the local domain seems to be faster for our users. However the other domain located a few hundred miles away seems to be very slow for our users.

We have a full T1 line that is not even 50% utilized. Users sometimes report that connections are sometimes dropped from SQL on this domain. I'm new with SQL Server. I was wondering if the problem can be helped on my end as far as administrating the SQL Server. I was thinking that it could be a programming issue. if you can give me some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Would setting up another server on the problem domain for replication with the server here increase performance enough to justify the cost?

Re: SQL Performance issue

I'm not certain that I'm qualified to answer this question, but I'll give it a shot.

First take a hard look at the newtork topology for both sites:
    1. You have a T1, what is their connection speed?
    2. Does the SQL sit on its own LAN segment at your site? or is it sharing the same segment as all the other users/workstations/servers?

Next, what kind of applications are you using to connect to SQL
    1. Web applications?
    2. Query Analyzer, Enterprise Manager?
    3. Custom windows forms apps (VB, VC++, etc)?

How much data is being transfered using these applications? Are they large blocks of data (extracts) or small chunks? You'd have to take a look at the underlying code (or run SQL Profiler) to determine this.

As for setting a local server for replication; I think that might be a viable option. Two-way merge replication would allow users on both ends to update the database and the results would be combined. It's not overwhelmingly difficult, but it's not for the faint of heart either.

HTH,

hmscott

I take it when you say "sometimes connections are dropped" you mean that your remote users are being timed out. If your app is inhouse, meaning that you have the source code, modify QueryTimeout/CommandTimeout (depending on technology used) to something more reasonable than the default. Unless, of course, as hmscott suggested, you're moving worlds of data, in which case that would be just a duct tape and bubble gum solution that would have to be patched more in the future.

Re: SQL Performance issue

Originally posted by Arra2
    My company has just started using SQL Server 2000 with our in house customized program.

We have users in two diffrent domains using it at this time for testing. The server located on the local domain seems to be faster for our users. However the other domain located a few hundred miles away seems to be very slow for our users.

We have a full T1 line that is not even 50% utilized. Users sometimes report that connections are sometimes dropped from SQL on this domain. I'm new with SQL Server. I was wondering if the problem can be helped on my end as far as administrating the SQL Server. I was thinking that it could be a programming issue. if you can give me some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Would setting up another server on the problem domain for replication with the server here increase performance enough to justify the cost?
    It is more than a bandwidth issue. T1 or T3, those little elections still travel at the same speed, about 125 miles/ms. With overhead you are probably spending about 10 ms, every time you turn the line around. If you have a timeout value, increasing that may stop some of the dropping sessions. Try a ping to get the line response times.
    Walt