Question Unanswered: Form is Too Small

I'm trying to create a very basic data entry form in Access. All was well until I tried to drag the grid area down farter (in design view) to make the form larger to have more room to work with. Access tells me that the maximum length on a form is 22 inches. Is there any way to make a longer form? It seems ridiculous to have such a small maximum length!

If it is not possible to make a longer form, what do you recommend that I do? I would prefer to keep it as simple as possible and not have to switch between multiple forms just to make changes to a single record.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

Re: Form is Too Small

Originally posted by Grahamage
    I'm trying to create a very basic data entry form in Access. All was well until I tried to drag the grid area down farter (in design view) to make the form larger to have more room to work with. Access tells me that the maximum length on a form is 22 inches. Is there any way to make a longer form? It seems ridiculous to have such a small maximum length!

If it is not possible to make a longer form, what do you recommend that I do? I would prefer to keep it as simple as possible and not have to switch between multiple forms just to make changes to a single record.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!
    You can use "Tab" object in your form
    Skharva

Is there a full moon out tonight ?

"It seems ridiculous to have such a small maximum length!"

My God !

What kind of table do you have that 22 inches of form would not contain enough fields for you to update a single record.

If you've designed an application with those requirements, let me tell you that you are in the next universe as far alocation on the bell curve of applications.

I've probably written 5,000 Access applications, and in the rarest of instances do I pine for a form of larger dimensions than Access can provide. But at least I recognize that my desires are way out of the ordinary.

To think that a 22+" form is ridiculous is in itself ridiculous.

Justify this 22+" form to us.

Let me tell you, I've got a lot of fields to fit on this form! I understand that you're skeptical, but let me explain. The form will be used by psychologists and psychiatrists to enter a multitude of psychological information about our patients. Each patient represents one record. There is a TON of info. to enter for each patient because they all undergo multiple types of evaluations and thereís a lot of clinical data to keep trap (symptoms, psychiatric history, treatment history, medication, etc.).

I was hoping to fit all this info on one form because many of the people who will be using the form arenít too tech savvy. Itís difficult enough to get them to enter the info in the first place. To ask them to switch between multiple forms is just too much.

Thanks to Skharvaís suggestion, Iím looking into using a tab object in the form. Perhaps that will work out. It just seems like you should be able to make the form as long as you want.

Maybe Iím going about this in totally the wrong way. Iím definitely a noob when it comes to Access, but itís what Iíve got to work with, so Iím doing the best I can. If you have any constructive suggestions, Iíd love to hear them.

Let me tell you, I've got a lot of fields to fit on this form! I understand that you're skeptical, but let me explain. The form will be used by psychologists and psychiatrists to enter a multitude of psychological information about our patients. Each patient represents one record. There is a TON of info. to enter for each patient because they all undergo multiple types of evaluations and thereís a lot of clinical data to keep trap (symptoms, psychiatric history, treatment history, medication, etc.).

I was hoping to fit all this info on one form because many of the people who will be using the form arenít too tech savvy. Itís difficult enough to get them to enter the info in the first place. To ask them to switch between multiple forms is just too much.

Thanks to Skharvaís suggestion, Iím looking into using a tab object in the form. Perhaps that will work out. It just seems like you should be able to make the form as long as you want.

Maybe Iím going about this in totally the wrong way. Iím definitely a noob when it comes to Access, but itís what Iíve got to work with, so Iím doing the best I can. If you have any constructive suggestions, Iíd love to hear them.

Keep this in mind if you have lot of fields on one form you will have lot of empty records in table (End User doesn't like it when u have too much stuff on one form). You can devide your informaiton into 2 or 3 forms and then just add cmd button to go to the next form.

If you want you can attached your database and let me see what i can do
    Skharva

Ok, I have attached the file so you can see what Iím talking about. I know the formís not pretty, but Iím just trying to fit all the info onto it at the moment. So far, Iíve got about a fifth of the info onto this form. Iím stalled because Iíve run out of length. Please understand that Iíve got about 400+ fields left to add, so regardless of my layout skills, thereís no way I can fit them all onto a single 22Ē form. The extra fields arenít in the table yet because Iíve been adding new fields to the table and form as I go.

At this point, it seems like thereís no way to extend the length of the form. So, what I need is either 1) a way to use tabs to create extra pages on this form, or 2) some way to link extra forms to the one Iíve already created.

Please remember that the people using this form are seriously tech shy. It has to be simple for them to use. Also, Iíd like to be able to use the work Iíve already done, if possible. Iíve been trying to figure out how to use tabs, but I canít seem to figure out how to get what Iíve already made onto a tab. Plus, when you switch tabs, does the form stay on the same record? That is important. I know theyíre going to complain if they have to search for the record theyíre working on every time they switch tabs.

I would really appreciate any help I can get with this. It seems like thereís probably some simple way to do this but I havenít been able to figure it out yet. Thanks in advance.

Ok, I have attached the file so you can see what Iím talking about. I know the formís not pretty, but Iím just trying to fit all the info onto it at the moment. So far, Iíve got about a fifth of the info onto this form. Iím stalled because Iíve run out of length. Please understand that Iíve got about 400+ fields left to add, so regardless of my layout skills, thereís no way I can fit them all onto a single 22Ē form. The extra fields arenít in the table yet because Iíve been adding new fields to the table and form as I go.

At this point, it seems like thereís no way to extend the length of the form. So, what I need is either 1) a way to use tabs to create extra pages on this form, or 2) some way to link extra forms to the one Iíve already created.

Please remember that the people using this form are seriously tech shy. It has to be simple for them to use. Also, Iíd like to be able to use the work Iíve already done, if possible. Iíve been trying to figure out how to use tabs, but I canít seem to figure out how to get what Iíve already made onto a tab. Plus, when you switch tabs, does the form stay on the same record? That is important. I know theyíre going to complain if they have to search for the record theyíre working on every time they switch tabs.

I would really appreciate any help I can get with this. It seems like thereís probably some simple way to do this but I havenít been able to figure it out yet. Thanks in advance.
    I don't see your database attached
    Skharva

Edit: Attachment has been removed. Hopefully, everyone has had a chance to take a look at it.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks!
    Last edited by Grahamage; 04-01-04 at 18:51.

Break the areas down into 3 or 4 different catergories. Separate them into 3 or 4 tables and forms. Or from your wizard toolbar you can create a "Tab Control' to accomplish this. Add some fields (in catergories) under each tab.

Hope this helps

Surf
    Gotta to do some code

Edit: Attachment has been removed. Hopefully, everyone has had a chance to take a look at it.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks!
    I have download your attachment. As soon as i get chance to work with it i will try to send u copy. It seems like you are storing all the information into one table which you need to break it down into two or three tables and create one to many relationship.
    Skharva