Thread: Renumber Table

Unanswered: Renumber Table

The scenario is this:
    I have built (2) tables of existing data. After going thru additional records I am finding entries that need to be added into the tables at specific rows. The records are currently identified by an ID number in the first column of each table, because the order in which they were entered needs to remain constant.
    The problem is this:
    I would like to be able to add in the new entries, at the specific rows where they need to go and then have the table automatically renumber the rows after that entry consecutively to keep them in the same order.
    I am fairly new to Access, but have gotten most of my structure, i.e. forms, queries,reports, to work. I don't know if some type of VB statement is what I need or if something exist that I could modify out there somewhere. Any and all viable suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    guzzler96

How about just an UPDATE query which adds 1 to that ID field for any record with an ID number equal to, or greater than, the current record number you are inserting ?

This assumes that that ID number you are using is not the Autonumber field. Correct ?

Question Renumber Table

Well I am not exactly sure if it is autonumber or not. I did start the tables with one for the first ID number and pressed the down arrow to number the rows. Currently I am at approx. 1100 records in each of the two tables and the system does generate the next record(ID) number. So I guess that is autonumber?? Does that make Update Query something I cannot use?? If not, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    guzzler96