Unanswered: Sql 7.0 to Sql 2K Migration

Hi There,
    Greetings! Many of my clients are on SQL 7.0 (Win NT) and want to upgrade to SQL2K (Win 2003). We have approximately 1200 Stored Procedures (SPs) per module.

Our porting exercise involves changing keywords of SQL 7 to SQL2K (eg. LTRIM, RTRIM, GROUP BY etc).

Is there a tool available online which can run thru the SPs and do the porting job? Otherwise I have to hand-code these changes

Also, has any one out there done this exercise before? What are the things to lookout for to avoid goofups?

Thanks in advance

Re: Sql 7.0 to Sql 2K Migration

Hi vayyangar
    I actually completed today one migration like the one you are about to take on. Fortunatelly everything went well and no major issues found. The only thing I an into, was a server with remote logins that refused to be removed using the sp_dropserver. After searching the web I found a posting that addressed the issue by using the sp_droplinkedsrvlogin http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...asp?frame=true
    I haven't heard anything about a tool like the one you described.

Good luck
    Martin Ayon

Originally posted by vayyangar
    Hi There,
    Greetings! Many of my clients are on SQL 7.0 (Win NT) and want to upgrade to SQL2K (Win 2003). We have approximately 1200 Stored Procedures (SPs) per module.

Our porting exercise involves changing keywords of SQL 7 to SQL2K (eg. LTRIM, RTRIM, GROUP BY etc).

Is there a tool available online which can run thru the SPs and do the porting job? Otherwise I have to hand-code these changes

Also, has any one out there done this exercise before? What are the things to lookout for to avoid goofups?

Thanks in advance

most of the changes between 7 and 2k ar benign in the tsql area.
    i have done a few conversions
    the first of which i was very leery of having an issue so i installed sql 2k as a named instance on the same server
    i didnt allow the databases to be upgraded when i attached them into 2k
    (left their compatibility as 7.0)
    i then disabled the sql 7 server and agent services and used 2k exclusively
    after 1 month we removed sql 7

i have done a few since then but usually just an upgrade with no issues worth speaking about.