Unanswered: If you can't update the design of a form on a MDE...

...how then do you make changes? Can I save a copy of the original, edit the design there, then export to the MDE?

The original MDB is the file that should be kept and updated. After each modification, create an MDE file.
    John
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Ok, maybe I'm just not understanding the MDE concept...

1) Is the MDE a front end that just stores forms and design info?
    2) Or is it just a stripped down version of the MDB. But the data is still stored in it.

If it is #2, then as soon as someone updates the MDE, the MDB then becomes obsolete. So therefore I cant really create a new MDE from the outdated MDB file.

The mdb is the database. You can have a front end and back end if you want. But Access allows the user to take any *.mdb file and create an mde version of the database.

An MDE file is the same as a regular Access MDB database file, with the following changes:

All VBA procedures are compiled converted from human-readable code (more or less readable, anyway) to a format that only the computer understands. This change prevents a database user from reading or changing your VBA code.
    No one can create forms or reports or modify the existing ones (you can't even open them in Design view). You can't import any, either.

(quoted from http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2127.html)

"If someone updates the *.mde, then the mdb is obsolete."
    Depends on how you are structured. If you havea front end of forms, reportrs, code, queries and a separate backend of tables, you should be fine. This is how I do most of my development. Users can update data and it never interferes with new versions of the front end (which I usually release as an MDE) that I provide.
    John
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that as soon as data in the MDE is changed, it no longer corresponds with the data in the MDB. In other words, you want to make changes in the design of the MDB keeping the latest data from the MDE.
    If this is the case, what you can do is import the updated tables from the MDE to the MDB before converting the MDB.

Jack

This is not exactly true, but think of the MDB as your source code and think of the MDE as your shipping object code.

In other words, the MDB is your original, where you make all your changes, and the MDE is what you ship to the customer.

The MDE is a bit more restricted and secure, so it is something you can send out without the fear that someone is going to alter your code.

It's not the greatest system, and it does have many limitations, but if you can familiarize yourself within those constraints, shipping MDEs to customers can be very useful.

Hmmm, thanks makes much more sence now. I inheritehed the MDB, which is now sitting on a network drive secured with a MDW shortcut...the guy who designed it never intended it to be secure/networked, so I'm not trying to finagle the DB into being somewhat secure.

Thanks guys