Unanswered: Increment field using update query

Hi,

I am trying to run an update query based on some criteria I want to increment a field by 100. For eg. Points=0...If Name=tom then Points=Points+100.

The problem is it remains at 100. It wont increment. Right now in the update field I have "+100" as the increment factor. I tried using "Points+100" but that gives me a type conversion failure. Points currently is a double. Do I need to change that? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Thanks for your help.
    MKK

Provided Answers: 1
    Could you post the whole sub?

The syntax you've shown is ok, you shouldn't be having problems there.

Im sorry Im new to this stuff...what do you mean sub? My query? If yes it is

UPDATE (Main INNER JOIN Sales_Consultants ON Main.PIN = Sales_Consultants.PIN) INNER JOIN Dealer ON Main.DealerNo = Dealer.DealerNo SET Sales_Consultants.GKL2_Points = "GKL2_Points"+100, Dealer.GKL2_Points = "GKL2_Points"+100
    WHERE (((Main.Contract_Type)="GKL") AND ((Main.Term)>"36") AND ((Main.New_or_Used)="New"));

Thanks

"GKL2_Points"+100

That's your problem

By encapsulating that in quotes, you are explicitly defining it as a string. Therefore you are trying to add an integer to a string. Try this:

UPDATE (Main INNER JOIN Sales_Consultants ON Main.PIN = Sales_Consultants.PIN) INNER JOIN Dealer ON Main.DealerNo = Dealer.DealerNo SET Sales_Consultants.GKL2_Points = GKL2_Points+100, Dealer.GKL2_Points = GKL2_Points+100
    WHERE (((Main.Contract_Type)="GKL") AND ((Main.Term)>36) AND ((Main.New_or_Used)="New"));

It wont let me do that. As soon as I tab out of the field it puts the quotes in.

Originally posted by mkk
    It wont let me do that. As soon as I tab out of the field it puts the quotes in.
    Try cutting and pasting the query directly into SQL view.

If that doesn't work, then the update query isn't the problem, it's somewhere else.

I got it working...I just need to specify the table along with the field. [Sales_Consultants].[Retail_Points]+100 makes it work fine.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
    MKK