Unanswered: NT trial version

This may be a somewhat silly question, but will the free NT download work on win2k or xp. (as they are both NT kernel) or do I have to run this on an old NT box.

I don't want to experiment or test too deeply on the production server (running on Solaris)

Thanks

Re: NT trial version

The free NT Version works on Win2k and XP both

Tried to install on win2003 server, installed OK, but configuration failed.

None of the the servers start. Is this because of the OS, or is it something else? (BTW, this machine is not networked)

Maybe I'll have to use an old NT box after all.

Did you install the TCP interface ?
    Did you try to start the ASE using the RUN file located on %sybase%\%sybase_ASE%\install ?

I tried to use syconfig, but when it tries to start the server, it fails. Also tried the RUN files, and several other .exe files.

I think the problems I'm having are due to the fact that there is no network for this machine. When I try to create a new instance, I can't go past the net interface screen "no network connection"

Also, at a command prompt, when I try to isql -U sa, I get network layer messages.

This is a test/eval machine which is dual booting. Win2k3 didn't recognize the NIC and I can't find a driver. I'll just use another machine.

However, I don't see why that would not allow the services to start.
    Last edited by stl; 04-05-04 at 17:55.

It was the NIC, works fine on a networked machine, thanks for everyone's help