Unanswered: help for this web designer.... point me in the right direction, please?

hi! your help is really appreciated! I'm just a graphic web designer with no knowledge of databases. Can you lead me in the right direction?

A client of mine wants a site where members can log in with a username and password and then see their user information. This user information is originally inputted by the site's owner, maybe through Excel or something.

Essentially, I need to have a member page. The member goes to the page, enters his username and his password. Then the next page creates an HTML page on-the-fly with all their information that is pulled from some type of database.

What do I use for this to happen? As a web designer, I have the least knowledge of database programming. Any advise as to where I can begin? What does this involve?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
    Amanda

Smile

In order to pull off what you want to do, you need to learn or hire someone who knows a scripting language like ASP, ASP.NET, php, perl to write the module and incorporate it into your html page design.

FYI:
    Be aware that you can use mySQL as the database, but if the website makes any revenue, then you must purchase a $495 commercial license.

RE: help for this web designer

Thanks for your reply. That points me in the right direction.

Can you program something like this. Can you provide a range of how much it would cost to do? I need to see if my client can even afford it.

Also, if someone were to write it in ASP, ASP.NET, php, or perl, do you still utilize mySQL? Or, is that something different? Is it either/or? Also, is mySQL easy to utilize if I have no background in that language?

Thanks for you patience. I need to make sure I'm on the right track!

Regards,
    Amanda

Originally posted by MrBuzz
    In order to pull off what you want to do, you need to learn or hire someone who knows a scripting language like ASP, ASP.NET, php, perl to write the module and incorporate it into your html page design.

FYI:
    Be aware that you can use mySQL as the database, but if the website makes any revenue, then you must purchase a $495 commercial license.

Provided Answers: 54
    Most web design tools have the ability to produce dynamic HTML like you are describing. You probably already have the tools, but don't know it. DreamWeaver, ColdFusion, and most of the other web design packages make this a piece of cake.

If this information is 100% static (no user changes), it is a tiny bit easier to code. If the users can change their own information, it is still pretty simple.

The bulk of the cost will be in developing a good specification of what your user wants. I can't do work for hire, but I'd estimate the whole project (start to finish) at under $300, based on what you've described so far. I charge professional rates, so you can almost certainly find folks that will do it for you cheaper than that.

-PatP

Dreamweaver for database?

I have Dreamweaver and noticed all the "templates" they provide. Is there something I should look for within the program? I can always pick up a book on the subject... I'm very willing, and wanting to, learn.

Under $300 sounds pretty cheap which usually means "easy to do".

Any advice as to how to begin?

Your help is invaluable!

Thanks,
    Amanda

Originally posted by Pat Phelan
    Most web design tools have the ability to produce dynamic HTML like you are describing. You probably already have the tools, but don't know it. DreamWeaver, ColdFusion, and most of the other web design packages make this a piece of cake.

If this information is 100% static (no user changes), it is a tiny bit easier to code. If the users can change their own information, it is still pretty simple.

The bulk of the cost will be in developing a good specification of what your user wants. I can't do work for hire, but I'd estimate the whole project (start to finish) at under $300, based on what you've described so far. I charge professional rates, so you can almost certainly find folks that will do it for you cheaper than that.

-PatP