Unanswered: Failing to install ORACLE 8.1.6/8.1.7 on Microsoft Windows 2003 Server (Ent.Ed.).

I am trying to install Oracle, Ver.8.1.6 (or 8.1.7) on a system running Microsoft Windows 2003 Server (Enterprise Edition), which is running into a Microsoft Virtual PC session (I suppose this should not make any difference). I log on as Administrator. When the installation process reaches the point of configuring the listener and creating a database, the system goes on and on endlessly and never completes the job (I have to kill it by using the Task Manager). The same thing happens when I try to create a database after installing the server by using the wizard (no data-files are created into the "c:\oracle\oradata\orcl" directory, although the wizard creates a service named OracleServiceORCL into the Operating System). After the database creation process fails to complete, I also cannot delete the "OracleServiceORCL" item from the OS services table. Does anybody know how I can resolve this? Isn't ORACLE 8.1.6/8.1.7 compatible with MS Windows 2003 Server? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Panos,

There is no version of Oracle8i that is certified against Windows 2003 Server.

Only Oracle 9.2 and 10g are certified.

See the certification matrix at http://otn.oracle.com/support/metalink/index.html