Unanswered: Difference between mysql and mysqld?

Can someone tell me what is the difference between mysql.exe and mysqld.exe?

I surmise that by looking at the filesizes, mysql.exe was not compiled with compiler debugging information in it and the mysqld.exe was.

The strange part when looking at the source files and build project, is that mysql and mysqld are two separate projects.

Is there something more in mysqld that makes it a separate project? More output messages perhaps?

Thanks

Re: Difference between mysql and mysqld?

Originally posted by MrBuzz
    Can someone tell me what is the difference between mysql.exe and mysqld.exe?

I surmise that by looking at the filesizes, mysql.exe was not compiled with compiler debugging information in it and the mysqld.exe was.

The strange part when looking at the source files and build project, is that mysql and mysqld are two separate projects.

Is there something more in mysqld that makes it a separate project? More output messages perhaps?

Thanks
    mysql - it's a commandline (administration) tool (something like sqlplus in Oracle)
    mysqld - it's a server daemon. this is the database server main binary (executable)

Thank you Ika for the explanation!