Unanswered: getting error for a query

Hi,

When i try the following query, i am getting the given result below.

db2 => SELECT DISTINCT ERRCODE, COUNT(ERRCODE) FROM DB2ADMIN.CFGERRLOG GROUP BY ERRCODE

ERRCODE 2
    ------------------------ -----------
    AM2741 6
    AM5569 4
    IM0016 114
    IM0043 129
    IM0046 2
    IM0048 188
    IM0051 186

If i want to see ERRTEXT along with the above result, i am getting the given error below

db2 => SELECT DISTINCT ERRCODE, ERRTEXT, COUNT(ERRCODE) FROM DB2ADMIN.CFGERRLOG GROUP BY ERRCODE

Error:
    SQL0119N An expression starting with "ERRTEXT" specified in a SELECT clause, HAVING clause, or ORDER BY clause is not specified in the GROUP BY clause or it is in a SELECT clause, HAVING clause, or ORDER BY clause with a column function and no GROUP BY clause is specified. SQLSTATE=42803

What could be the problem??

Please help me.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1

Re: getting error for a query

Originally posted by manth
    Hi,

When i try the following query, i am getting the given result below.

db2 => SELECT DISTINCT ERRCODE, COUNT(ERRCODE) FROM DB2ADMIN.CFGERRLOG GROUP BY ERRCODE

ERRCODE 2
    ------------------------ -----------
    AM2741 6
    AM5569 4
    IM0016 114
    IM0043 129
    IM0046 2
    IM0048 188
    IM0051 186

If i want to see ERRTEXT along with the above result, i am getting the given error below

db2 => SELECT DISTINCT ERRCODE, ERRTEXT, COUNT(ERRCODE) FROM DB2ADMIN.CFGERRLOG GROUP BY ERRCODE

Error:
    SQL0119N An expression starting with "ERRTEXT" specified in a SELECT clause, HAVING clause, or ORDER BY clause is not specified in the GROUP BY clause or it is in a SELECT clause, HAVING clause, or ORDER BY clause with a column function and no GROUP BY clause is specified. SQLSTATE=42803

What could be the problem??

Please help me.

Thanks
    You need to group by errtext as well. By the way, "DISTINCT" is not needed where you're using it - GROUP BY has the same effect.

Thumbs up

It's working fine.

Thanks