Thread: sqlservr -c -f

Unanswered: sqlservr -c -f

hello,
    We are having an issue with tempdb growth and even after restarting the server and the shrinkfile command the tempdb still holds on to nearly 15 GB of space.
    I found this article on the microsoft website which recommended that we stop SQL server and retart it from the commad prompt using the sqlservr -c -f command. After this we go to SQL Analyzer and run the shrinkfile.

I gave the sqlservr command on a friday evening in our test enviroment and I come back on monday morning and it is still not completed and i had to close the window and start SQL Server from Windows.

Is there something that i am missing here that i should know about the sqlservr command. Is there anything else that someone could recommend regarding shrinking the tempdb.

thanks

I am just curious what is size of your model db? Is it normal?

Yes. The model database is 5.6 MB. But i cannot start SQL Server from the sqlservr command.
    It just hangs after it starts the master and model databases.
    I have to give the ctrl c command stop sql server and start is normally.

Originally posted by sqlhp
    Yes. The model database is 5.6 MB. But i cannot start SQL Server from the sqlservr command.
    It just hangs after it starts the master and model databases.
    I have to give the ctrl c command stop sql server and start is normally.
    Why you do not just reinstall a sql server - something is definitely wrong with it...

well but it works just fine if start if from enterprise manager..
    that is what is driving me carzy..as to what cause it hang midway when i try to start it from command prompt.
    Is it usally a lot slower ?

Provided Answers: 54
    So, you are using the destructions posted in Method 1, and the ALTER DATABASE commands are taking more than a minute to run? You are using MS Query Analyzer, and you are in the master database?

If your model database is 5.6 Mb, something significant has been done to increase its basic size. You can't reduce the tempdev size below this level, and I'd round the startup size of tempdb data up to the next 1 Mb boundary just to be safe. I wouldn't reduce the size of the tempdb log file below 1 Mb.

I'm rather curious about the size of your tempdb. That seems enormous to me. Do you have any idea what is using all of that space?

-PatP