Unanswered: urgent!!Problem with DataBase Migration

I have to migrate a Informix database from Unix enviornment to SQL SERVER 2000. They are in two saperate box. I have few questions regarding that

1) how do you start the database(informix) in unix enviorment?

2)How do you setup enviorment variables?(or do I need to set up enviornment variable)).

3)How do you export data (I know we can use dbexport in unix prompt)?

4) can I be able to run that .sql file in .exp directory in SQl Server query analyzer?

5)Can I convert those .unl file to .txt file and then do a import in Sql Server 2000.

I will really appreciate if some one give me some clue ASAP. I have to do this with in a week so that the old system can be retired.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks
    Moloy Bagchi

Some answers,

1. 'oninit' will start the instance, databases itself doesn't have to be started. Be sure to set environment variables first.

2. Set environment variables:
    INFORMIXDIR=??
    PATH=$PATH:$INFORMIXDIR/bin
    ONCONFIG=???
    INFORMIXSERVER=??

Sometimes needed: INFORMIXSQLHOSTS=???

3. 'dbexport --' will give you full syntax explaination

4 & 5. Sorry I don't know

Greetings,

Rob Prop

Thanks

Originally posted by RobP
    Some answers,

1. 'oninit' will start the instance, databases itself doesn't have to be started. Be sure to set environment variables first.

2. Set environment variables:
    INFORMIXDIR=??
    PATH=$PATH:$INFORMIXDIR/bin
    ONCONFIG=???
    INFORMIXSERVER=??

Sometimes needed: INFORMIXSQLHOSTS=???

3. 'dbexport --' will give you full syntax explaination

4 & 5. Sorry I don't know

Greetings,

Rob Prop
    Thanks for your answer. It solve some of my problem.

I need to know whether I can run that .sql file in Sql query analyzer (in sql server 2000) so that datbase structure can be created iin SQl server 2000 and then If I can somehow get the underlying data of that table structure from those .unl file , I will able to export all the data from informix.

Thanks again for your help
    Moloy

Re: urgent!!Problem with DataBase Migration

Originally posted by moloyus
    I have to migrate a Informix database from Unix enviornment to SQL SERVER 2000. They are in two saperate box. I have few questions regarding that

1) how do you start the database(informix) in unix enviorment?

^ run oninit command (Note: Only this command, with no option)
    2)How do you setup enviorment variables?(or do I need to set up enviornment variable)).

3)How do you export data (I know we can use dbexport in unix prompt)?

4) can I be able to run that .sql file in .exp directory in SQl Server query analyzer?
    ^ generally yes, but you have to make sure that all statements other than SQL statements must be commented.

5)Can I convert those .unl file to .txt file and then do a import in Sql Server 2000.
    ^ .unl file is .txt file.

I will really appreciate if some one give me some clue ASAP. I have to do this with in a week so that the old system can be retired.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks
    Moloy Bagchi
    Another way, but tedious ... is to do this export separately.. meaning for the structure use dbschema command and to export data use load command (recommended delimiter '|'). At least you get to revise the schema .sql file to remove unnecessary comments which will affect the running of the script in SQL Server. Also, please make sure that all datetime columns be changed into something similar in SQL Server.

Originally posted by Audra
    ^ run oninit command (Note: Only this command, with no option)

^ generally yes, but you have to make sure that all statements other than SQL statements must be commented.

^ .unl file is .txt file.

Another way, but tedious ... is to do this export separately.. meaning for the structure use dbschema command and to export data use load command (recommended delimiter '|'). At least you get to revise the schema .sql file to remove unnecessary comments which will affect the running of the script in SQL Server. Also, please make sure that all datetime columns be changed into something similar in SQL Server.
    Thank You for your elaborate reply. Your explanation would obviously be helpfull when we (actually I have to do the Trasfer) migrate the database finally. May I be able to bother you with any follow-up questions(In case I get in any other type of problem) in future?

Thanks
    Moloy Bagchi

Originally posted by moloyus
    Thank You for your elaborate reply. Your explanation would obviously be helpfull when we (actually I have to do the Trasfer) migrate the database finally. May I be able to bother you with any follow-up questions(In case I get in any other type of problem) in future?

Thanks
    Moloy Bagchi
    ^ sure.. no problem.. just post it here or email me at audra_sazreena@yahoo.com .
    Good Luck!
    ~ Smooth as silk ~