Thread: xml import

Unanswered: xml import

Somewhat of a newbie question ...

If I'm not mistaken, xml import functionality is new to Filemaker 6. But whatever the version is, if the database is sitting on the server and people are logged in remotely (via Filemaker hosts, not web companion), what are the requirements for importing xml files?

Specifically, does it matter what version the filemaker server is? Or is it just necessary for the client to have Filemaker 6 (or whatever version supports xml import) on their respective machine?

Filemaker Server is not an end user tool.
    It only allow to share Filemaker databases on the network.
    So only Filemaker Client can modify data.
    Olivier Miossec
    --
    http://www.lasso-developpeur.net/
    --

Re: xml import

Originally posted by tweenerz
    Somewhat of a newbie question ...

If I'm not mistaken, xml import functionality is new to Filemaker 6. But whatever the version is, if the database is sitting on the server and people are logged in remotely (via Filemaker hosts, not web companion), what are the requirements for importing xml files?

Specifically, does it matter what version the filemaker server is? Or is it just necessary for the client to have Filemaker 6 (or whatever version supports xml import) on their respective machine?

I'm confused with the other answer, although it is correct. FileMaker 6 clients can import XML whether they are connected to a FMP 5/5.5/ or 6.0 server. The XML functionality does not utilize the server conponent unless you move to FMP7.

It is quite possible to have a bunch of fmp 5.5 machines on the network, along with one FMP 6 machine. As long as the FMP 6 machine is used for the import, the data would be available to all the other users.

thanks,

Joe