Question Unanswered: Entity-Relationship Model

Hi, I need to produce the diagram itself (graphic) of the structure in the DB (phpmyadmin) using PowerDesigner. An example link bellow:

http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/da...ing/dm/er1.gif

Help please.

Thanks.

Re: Entity-Relationship Model

I attached the .SQL file generated from phpmyadmin

Originally posted by jcastill
    Hi, I need to produce the diagram itself (graphic) of the structure in the DB (phpmyadmin) using PowerDesigner. An example link bellow:

http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/da...ing/dm/er1.gif

Help please.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The .SQL file you supply looks as though it is for MySQL. Do you already have this database in MySQL. If so connect PowerDesigner to the MySQL database and reverse engineer the schema into PowerDesigner. You'll need MySQL ODBC drivers to do.

Ok, yes it's MySQL. I have that database in a shared webhosting plan. I connect to the database using phpMyAdmin. Please how can I create that ODBC connection?

Thanks.

Originally posted by richardcrossley
    The .SQL file you supply looks as though it is for MySQL. Do you already have this database in MySQL. If so connect PowerDesigner to the MySQL database and reverse engineer the schema into PowerDesigner. You'll need MySQL ODBC drivers to do.

Ok, yes it's MySQL. I have that database in a shared webhosting plan. I connect to the database using phpMyAdmin. Please how can I create that ODBC connection?

Thanks.
    Since PowerDesigner works under Windows, that's what I'm assumming you're going to be connecting from.

1st you'll need the ODBC drivers for MySQL. These can be obtained from [link]http://www.mysql.com/downloads/api-myodbc-3.51.html[link] and double click the file "MyODBC-3.51.06.exe" to install them.

Open the ODBC Administrator - Normally somewhere under the Control Panel or Admin Tools. Click the "Drivers" tab you should see a driver "MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver". If you do, the driver is correctly installed. If not, reboot and try again.

Now you're going to create a DSN. This is a link between your client and the database. The DSN stores a bunch of parameters that allow you to connect. DSN's can be either User or System. User DSN are particular to you and System are available to all users. I tend to create System DSNs as I can use them with services as well. Either way the process is the same.

Click on the User DSN or System DSN tab and press the "Add..." button.

Select the appropriate driver, the previously mentioned "MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver" and click "Finish"

Give a name for your datasource. This can be anything, but should really represent the connection.

Complete the rest of the connection parameters as appropriate for your site; hostname/ip address, database name, user name, password and port number.

Once everything is complete, the OK button will enable. Click it.

Return to the System or User tab where you clicked the "Add..." button. Select the DSN you have just created and press the "Configure..." button.

Click the button marked "Test Data Source". A connection to MySQL should be attempted. If all is OK you have a working DSN.

Ok, I was able to do the reverse engineering, saw the tables but no the relatioships, how can i do that?

thanks a lot

Ok, I was able to do the reverse engineering, saw the tables but no the relatioships, how can i do that?

thanks a lot
    Reverse engineering the relationships depends on what information is in the database. I normally have to put those in manually afterwards.

I don't know that MySQL allows that kind of documentation, not that I'm an expert on MySQL.

Cheers.

yes, you're right, we have to manually put those.

thanks a lot for your help

cheers,
    jac