Unanswered: Detailed Log information

We just started using SQL Server. I'm new on the SQL side of things. We have SQL setup in a test environment with users connecting and performing job related functions. An in house programmer has developed software for our users which connects to the SQL Server

I'm looking for information pertaining to events that have teken place within SQL. Does SQL give you details on updates and changes made to specific tables. I'm looking for some way of looking up item numbers and the user that entered the data. We have noticed that some of the users may be entering in wrong data within certain tables. And would like to educate them on what they are doing wrong.

I need to know what certain users are logging and entering into our SQL Server.

What are the most detailed logs that SQL Server provides that has information on what the users are doing has far an entering in data.

Use triggers - they could help you a lot. But it needs to have some additional tables where you could save information about who did something and when.

Former Kentacky dba.

triggers are certainly a way of auditing who doing what when.

a commercial product 'Encarta' sold by Lumigent is good for the purpose.

If users can enter wrong data, I would try hard to see if data model and design need to be modifed to enforce policies, such as adding a default, a check, a rule, etc. to prevent user errors.

Richard

Originally posted by snail
    Use triggers - they could help you a lot. But it needs to have some additional tables where you could save information about who did something and when.

Former Kentacky dba.

Provided Answers: 54
    Check out the SQL Profiler. It can bury you in information about who is doing what, when, and how! Be forewarned, that you can take the "whole load" as a starting point, but that you'll HAVE to implement some filtering pretty quickly, or you'll drown in data!

-PatP