Unanswered: Possible to reset Oracle SCN?

I had a job interview recently, and one of the questions was regarding resetting the Oracle SCN. I didn't think it was possible, not even with a resetlogs but the interviewer seemed to think it was.

I am not sure why you would ever want change the SCN, but I am also curious to know if this is possible. Any ideas?

-ec

As you say, even if you could reset the scn, why would you?

The consistency of the database is defined by the scn - it always increases and you cannot reset it. The only way to have the database at an earlier scn is to restore a previous backup, recover to the required scn and open resetlogs. But the state of the database reflects that, so you aren't really resetting the scn at all - the entire database is "reset".

I wonder what their backup and recovery strategy is like...

Re: Possible to reset Oracle SCN?

Originally posted by eyechart
    I had a job interview recently, and one of the questions was regarding resetting the Oracle SCN. I didn't think it was possible, not even with a resetlogs but the interviewer seemed to think it was.

I am not sure why you would ever want change the SCN, but I am also curious to know if this is possible. Any ideas?

-ec
    You are right, you can't reset SCN and also RESETLOGS don't resets th SCN.
    RESETLOGS just create new incarnation of database.