• Programmer

2 11.76%
  • others

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Unanswered: Database Designing...

Friends,
    Who is responsible for the Design of Database? System Analyst, DBA, Databse Designer, Project Leader? Coz I am working as a System Analyst, but now desgining the Databse for the ERP package which I feel is another man's work. Confussed. Plz help me.

Anil
    Anil Kumar Bommareddy

Provided Answers: 1
    I'll wait for the follow-up poll: Who gets blamed for a poorly designed database?

A: DBA
    B: DBA
    C: DBA
    D: All of the above.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

you're kidding, right?

you have four people, and one of them is a Database Designer, and you're asking whose job it is to design the database?

answer: not the DBA

the DBA's job is to create the physical database from the finished database design

answer: not the project leader

the project leader's job is to talk to management

answer: not the systems analyst

the system analyst's job is to figure out what the users really want, not what they're asking for

let's see, have i missed anybody?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Yeah r937 you missed someone. You missed the poor suckers that have to perform all of those roles. I'm stuck in that position right now. I know the most about the business processes, db design, dba work, java coding, object modeling, reporting progress to management, and managing interaction with the end users. It sux but it acts as great leverage when negotiating salary.

I don't see any reason or advantage to splitting the DBA and Database Designer roles. It sounds like a recipe for turf wars to me.

Anybody?

blindman

Originally posted by blindman
    I'll wait for the follow-up poll: Who gets blamed for a poorly designed database?

A: DBA
    B: DBA
    C: DBA
    D: All of the above.
    You took the words right out of my keyboard
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

you can't see any advantage to splitting the DBA and Database Designer roles?

whoa, you must be trollin

where to start?

how about: if the Database Designer designs the database, sufficient time and effort will be devoted to the understanding and identification of candidate keys based on business logic, whereas if the DBA does it, you get surrogate autonumber primary keys on every table and $deity knows what other similar crap

how's that?

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Do you mean to say a DBA has no knowledge of Database design ...

Buzz ... You are wrong ... what we are talking about is an Integration of DBA and DD roles ... and that would be absolutely great if the person posseses enough DD and DBA knowledge .

Well, in large shops it doesn't seem to fly. I'D LOVE TO:

- do the analysis
    - do the design
    - and do what I do on a daily basis (DBA stuff)

Turf wars is what we have here.

But the sad part is, that after the design is handed over to me to implement (mind you I am not invited to any of the meatings held by the project development team), I find all kinds of design issues in about 70% of the projects. At that point it's too late to take it back to the designer, or rather to the systems analyst, because success is declared and propagated all the way to the top, and I still love my job So what am I left with? MAKE IT WORK!!! Recently the "designers" started listening to me a little more (I AM SHOCKED!) and started implementing any data access through a stored procedure. So, having a break like this, I have a luxury to re-write the procedure if it needs to be, and even alter table structures and relations, because the data is not directly accessed. It's a workaround that I found, but it keeps me occupied (not right now, it's boring here, everything works...)

no, i do not mean to say the DBA has no knowledge of database design

that'd be silly, and i wouldn't say that

and who said we were talking about an integration of roles?

i thought we were talking about a0060162742357's situation where there is already two people, one of them a database designer and the other a DBA, and the question is, whose job is it to design the database?

duh...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Database Designer
    DBA
    Project Leader
    Programmer

hmmm .. these guys are there and still the system analyst is designing the db .... wierd

Unfortunately it really doesnt matter who does it because the pooch usually gets screwed right from the beginning and then you have to spend the rest of your days working around a flawed design.

those magnificent bastards

Provided Answers: 54
    Originally posted by Ruprect
    those magnificent bastards
    Do they come any other way ?!?!

-PatP

Provided Answers: 11
    How about all the "little" projects where the project manager says something like: "We only have two tables to hold our data, why don't we just dump them in the products database?"

Hmm. Would the fact that it is not product data have anything to do with that decision (or lack thereof)?

Sadly, we have no database design group here. All the developers are free to come up with their own designs, which I find out about later. And let me tell you, we have a creative bunch around here...

How are all of your shops made up? We only have project managers, programmers, and DBA.

All very interesting comments.

So, in a split DBA/Designer environment, should the DBA be responsble only for pure "admin" functions, such as backups, index optimization, replication, etc?

I think it is absolutely essential that a database designer have good knowledge of database administration, though I don't think the reverse is necessarilly required.

I've only worked in small-to-midsize shops where I was the one-man show, so I'm curious about how duties are split in larger environments and how people keep from stepping on eachother's toes.

blindman