Unanswered: Oracle 9i and Redhat Enterprise Linux WS

Hi everyone,

I just wonder if anyone know the compability between Oracle 9i and Redhat Enterprise Linux WS? 'coz I am going to purchase a new desktop with RHWS, I want to make sure if Oracle 9i is compable with RH WS beforehand.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Oracle 9i and Redhat Enterprise Linux WS

No, it is not "certified" with RH Linux WS.

Oracle 9.2 Enterprise Edition is certified with Red Hat Linux AS/ES 3 on x86 processors. The certification matrix mentions WS as existing, then provides a list of RH software Oracle has certified. WS is not in that second list. Sorry, I'm the same boat as you.

If you only want to run the most watered-down Oracle, you can use nearly any Linux distrobution. If you try to run a fancy feature (like text search, replication, VPD, or many others), Oracle will call something that was compiled against things your WS operating system does not have, and presto - an error pops up.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm

Re: Oracle 9i and Redhat Enterprise Linux WS

Originally posted by markrem
    No, it is not "certified" with RH Linux WS.

Oracle 9.2 Enterprise Edition is certified with Red Hat Linux AS/ES 3 on x86 processors. The certification matrix mentions WS as existing, then provides a list of RH software Oracle has certified. WS is not in that second list. Sorry, I'm the same boat as you.

If you only want to run the most watered-down Oracle, you can use nearly any Linux distrobution. If you try to run a fancy feature (like text search, replication, VPD, or many others), Oracle will call something that was compiled against things your WS operating system does not have, and presto - an error pops up.
    <snip>
    If you try to run a fancy feature (like text search, replication, VPD, or many others), Oracle will call something that was compiled against things your WS operating system does not have, and presto - an error pops up.
    </snip>

above text is bullshit!
    It si true Redhat WS is designed to be a workstation (some packages is missing) but you can still simply install the missing packages which is included in ES. I am using Oracle9i on Redhat 9 (some packages were compiled from ES sources available on ftp.redhat.com) without problems and also all functionality mentioned above is working for me.