Unanswered: Connecting Filemaker to a Paradox database

I am trying to import information from a Paradox database to Filemaker 6 over a network. Not having much success. I would appreciate any help.

Re: Connecting Filemaker to a Paradox database

Originally posted by JDM
    I am trying to import information from a Paradox database to Filemaker 6 over a network. Not having much success. I would appreciate any help.

There are several appraoches to handling this. If it's a one time migration, then I would likely just import the tables through JDBC; however, if you need to repeat the process periodically I would enable web services on the Paradox data source and use XML Import via URL. The tricky part here is adapting the sytlesheet. You may be able to use the default FMPGRAMMAR stylesheet, if not the whole XSLT issue is not fun.

Stravinsoft makes some insteresting tools to keep the data in sync, FMP Migrator is also another migration tool, or you can hire someone (shameless plug) to do the migration if you don't what to deal with it, but the ODBC route is pretty easy once you get all your drivers set up....

thanks,

Joe

Re: Connecting Filemaker to a Paradox database

If it is a once and for all transfer, then I would propose a simpler approach.
    Why not just export to tables (tab or otherwise separated) with the needed primary and secondary keys in each table?

If it is an ongoing process, then considder letting the databases communicate via ODBC/JDBC (assuming that it is on Windows), or via http or via files in a watched folder.
    If the last path is choosen (files in a watched folder) xml would be a very very good format (using xslt's to controll the transformation). XML is a good choice because the order of the fields within the export can be changed without riscing misinterpreting the data during import etc. etc.
    The file method has some advantages, but can not be recommended if the databases are going to work as one 100% uptodate system. A delay of durance of up to some seconds to a minute is probably unavoidable with this method, and if it is critical that both systems are getting and using absolutely uptodate info, then stick to odbc/jdbc=sql. XLM can stil be tagen into use with this method.

Originally posted by joeking
    There are several appraoches to handling this. If it's a one time migration, then I would likely just import the tables through JDBC; however, if you need to repeat the process periodically I would enable web services on the Paradox data source and use XML Import via URL. The tricky part here is adapting the sytlesheet. You may be able to use the default FMPGRAMMAR stylesheet, if not the whole XSLT issue is not fun.

Stravinsoft makes some insteresting tools to keep the data in sync, FMP Migrator is also another migration tool, or you can hire someone (shameless plug) to do the migration if you don't what to deal with it, but the ODBC route is pretty easy once you get all your drivers set up....

thanks,

Joe