Unanswered: filter the entire database?

I am confounded.

I'm not really a db developer, it just kind of evolved into my hands.

I have a Time and Attendance database that tracks hours by tasks, employee numbers departments and cost centers.

I now need to filter all of my forms and reports by department numbers or cost centers, sometimes by ranges of dates or employee numbers.

Is there a way to set a filter so that all of my reports will be based on this filter? The other option would be to be able to filter by fields that may not appear on a report. For example, I have a report that shows:

[project number] [project name] .... [hours worked] [OT hours]
    ..........(from project table) .............(from Time&Expense table)

This report is based on a query of the Time&Expense table.

I need to have this report created only on employees in department 19 (from Employees table). I have created a filtering dialog with options to set the filters. I just can't seem to get filters to work in OpenReport commands.

I am trying to avoid creating a huge number of queries for every possible filter combination.

Pete
    Last edited by pcbpete; 04-06-04 at 19:34.

Provided Answers: 1
    You can make a public variable say PubFilter
    in every Report put in the Report_Open event the next code

Me.FilterOn
    Me.Filter=pubFilter

Naturally you should define your pubFilter and fill it with the suitable criteria

I wasn't sure I'd be able to explain this properly.

I was using the OpenReport with a filter, or a filter expression. The problem is that the erport I'm trying to open, and the query it's based on, do not contain the field I want to filter. So it can't resolve the filter. Or should I be able to do this anyway and I'm missing something?

to have the filter work you must have all the required fields. In your case I am sensing some huge overhauling of your app. ie. changing all the reports so that your filter criteria can be applied to all the reports.

Originally posted by pcbpete
    I wasn't sure I'd be able to explain this properly.

I was using the OpenReport with a filter, or a filter expression. The problem is that the erport I'm trying to open, and the query it's based on, do not contain the field I want to filter. So it can't resolve the filter. Or should I be able to do this anyway and I'm missing something?

I was hoping not to hear that, though I was sort of expecting it.

One would think there would be a way to apply a filter to a table, opened or not, and have it stick until it was turned off!

sorry buddy, you cannot apply filter on any field of a table. the field must be part of the report's record source.

Originally posted by pcbpete

I was hoping not to hear that, though I was sort of expecting it.

One would think there would be a way to apply a filter to a table, opened or not, and have it stick until it was turned off!