Question Unanswered: ASE 12.5.0.3 Windows 2003 Installation fails

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone here could help me or get me on the right track. I'm trying to install Sybase ASE 12.5.0.3(ESD#4) on Windows 2003.
    The installation itself works fine, I first install 12.5 and get to the part where it wants me to reboot. I choose no and apply the 12.5.0.3 patch (EBF11449) as described in the patch installation guide and then reboot.
    I then try to create my adaptive server. The master device seems to generate ok but when it tries to start the Sybase Server, it just hangs there for a long while until it gives me the following error "SERVER ERROR: Failed to boot server 'XXXXX': process is running but server is unavailable"
    If I check the services, it does not report that the server is running and when I try to start it manually there, it also fails to start.

Any help would be very kindly appreciated as I've tried installing this on 3 different servers now and I don't even know how many times I've reinstalled it...

kind regards,
    Cefwyn

Provided Answers: 4
    I think you should reboot after installing the initial software.
    Then, after the reboot, you create your server (not necessarily with any userdatabases). When that is done, you can follow the procedure for installing the EBF.

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried rebooting and creating the initial database without installing the patch but I get the same problem as I do when I have the patch installed.

The patch fixes a problem with Sybase not being registered as a service in Windows 2003.

excerpt from the patch documentation about what it fixes on Win2K3:
    11449 329635
    ASE does not start as a service on the Windows 2003 operating system. Attempts to start the service result in the message 'the service terminated unexpectedly'

kind regards,
    Michel

Provided Answers: 4
    Set the services to "manual" and reboot the server. Then tryto start them manually. That way they shouldn't have started automatically. You should be able to start them manually then.

Thanks, I'll try that :-)

-Michel

FYI :

Windows 2003 Certification:

Support requires 12.5.0.3 ESD#4 and does not include HA, LDAP or EJB features at this time. Support includes the editions: Enterprise, Standard, Data Center, Small Business. ASE addresses up to 3Gb of memory and allows 128 engines.

http://ohno.sybase.com/cgi-bin/ws.exe/cert/ase_cert.hts