Unanswered: Upgrade Oracle 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i - PL/SQL question

I am going to be upgrading my Oracle 8.1.7 data warehouse to Oracle 9i. My data warehouse uses PL/SQL and triggers to load and verify all data into the data warehouse. I have some pretty complex PL/SQL code. Can anyone tell me if there is anything in Oracle 8i's PL/SQL that changed in 9i? I'm concerned that I might have problems with the PL/SQL code once the upgrade is performed, and since I have a short timeframe to do the upgrade I want to anticipate as many problems before hand as possible. THanks.

Provided Answers: 4
    I'd expect problems if it was about downgrading from Oracle 9 to Oracle 8; but, thinking about your case, I'd say there should not be any problems. Oracle 9 surely has some features that seem obsolete, but are kept for compatibility with older versions of Oracle RDBMS.

I never did anything as complex as you plan to; however, I wrote some PL/SQL procedures on Oracle 9 (development) and, while transfering them to Oracle 8 (production), met incompatibility (nothing strange, right?). Never experienced anything similar vice versa.

I hope there are people here with much more experience than me to help you prepare for upgrading. Good luck, in any case!
    Last edited by Littlefoot; 04-07-04 at 17:25.

Hi,

There have been a few threads on here from people who have side by side V8 and V9 databases showing performance problems on 9.

After much questioning regarding configuration, actual data etc etc it appeared to be some subtle differences in the CBO on 9, causing these problems.

To be honest, none of those threads ever appeared to be fully resolved (maybe they were but the poster neglected to say so). In my mind it leaves the question open regarding 8/9 CBO differences. As I hope you've already worked out, it's just a question mark for me, nothing I could actually give you facts about.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

have upgraded a few databases from 817 to 902 and the only issue I have found was from some sloppy coding (some of oracles in built packages!!!) where the package spec and the package body have different default values for some of the parameters. Easily fixed but you just need to keep recompiling invalid objects till you are left with the ones that wont compile!

Upgrade Oracle 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i - PL/SQL question

I guess what you guys are telling me is:

I shouldn't run into any major problems. Maybe some sloppy coding problems, but nothing that recompiling and maybe some tweaking won't fix. I sure hope you're right since I don't have a test system, and I'm the DBA and maintenance programmer all rolled into one. I inherited the code so it will be a learning experience to say the least. It relieves my mind to know that there should not be any major problems. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.