Unanswered: Systems Analyst - job description

Does anyone have a description of what is a System Analyst responsibility should involve. I was recently assigned the title and is no longer sure what my responsibility should entail. I asked mgmt for a description. Still waiting.

Thanks.

Re: Systems Analyst - job description

A systems analyst studies the problems and needs of an organization to determine how people, data, processes, communications, and information technology can best accomplish improvements for the business. When information technology is used, the analyst is responsible for:

the efficient capture of data from its business source
    the flow of that data to the computer
    the processing and storage of that data by the computer
    the flow of useful and timely information back to the business and its people
    http://www.scirocco.ca/images/banner...occobanner.gif

Download for FREE the ADO/DAO Data Controls that makes life EASIER developing database applications in: VB, FoxPro, Access, VC++, .NET etc... Navigate, Add New, Delete, Update, Search, Undo and Save your changes. Supports Disconnected Recordsets and Transactions!

Or try our Ask An Expert service to answer any of your questions!

Red face Re: Systems Analyst - job description

Originally posted by lynn
    Does anyone have a description of what is a System Analyst responsibility should involve. I was recently assigned the title and is no longer sure what my responsibility should entail. I asked mgmt for a description. Still waiting.

Thanks.
    Your job is to see and guide the programmer on how a system should work. Suppose you are involved with a project that requires to develop a software application. Now, you should know what are the sources to use, what the objectives are and give programmers the rough details in form of flow charts, or to write the codes in a layman's language

In my short time on the job market, I've come to the realization that job titles don't really mean a whole lot.

When I was a Systems Analyst though, our main purpose was to write programs that supported the functionality of the company. In an academic environment, this involved creating numerous programs to spit out just about any kind of information you would ever want or need.

Thanks to all. Although I must agree with coryedwards, the title does nothing for the actual task, since I am not in any involved with programming neither do we have programmers in our firm. Your replies however, points me in the write direction in terms of what type of training I need.

Thanks.

Don't forget washing windows....

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/pop_pr...isplay&id=7198

In other words...do what ever it takes to get the job done....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

i've been in IT for over 30 years and we always said that the primary focus of the system analyst's job was the system, and the primary component of any system was the user

in other words, the system analyst's main job is to understand what the user is trying to accomplish

you can have a system without a computer, but you cannot have a system without a user
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Talking

Nice comments. That is all about our profession, no matter what u do , we need to have the users

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi View Post
    Nice comments. That is all about our profession, no matter what u do , we need to have the users
    Thanks for your information. It help me to think about my ideals. I'll send later.

Apart from that, you also can ref more resources at: system analyst job description

Rgs.
    Last edited by hdblue; 01-02-12 at 23:47.