Winnipeg, Manitoba

Unanswered: Utility to determin why a join breaks

Part of my role is production support. We have a web app that places people in "folders" and sometimes people are supposed to be in a folder, but they don't appear. The query that drives the selection doesn't pick them up because a join breaks when some of the data associated with the person is not bang on.

I was wondering if there is a utility that I can feed some SQL to and then say "Why isn't this record being returned from you" and it would go through the joins and say "Ahhh, ok it's because the PERSON_NAME table in the join does not contain any records for the criteria you specified in the where clause"

Currently I have to go in and rework the query with outter joins, then run the query to see where there might be some joins broken because of bad data. I guess my real question is, is there a utility that will do this all for me instead of me having to manually rework the query and sift through the results.

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    The only tools that I've seen that do this to suit me are the ones that I've written myself. They need pretty detailed knowledge of the business rules, and often determine that the row(s) in question aren't there because they aren't supposed to be there.