Unanswered: access installation on server

This is probably a very simple question, but does Access have to be installed on the server in order to run the DB over a network share? I have a virtual directory created over a network share. Thanks.
    -Dman100-

Nope

No Access doesnt have to be installed over a server to network share a database. Though Access does have to be installed on all of the individual computers that you want to use the database.

Hope that helps,
    Jarvis
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Jarvis,
    Thanks for replying to my post. I'm trying to determine the cause of an error I keep getting by trying to connect to an Access database. I keep getting a "disk or network error" with an ASP page that connects to the database.

I was looking at the possibility that Access needs to be installed on the server where I'm running IIS?

The virtual directory was initially created over a network share. I then placed the site locally on the server and created the virtual directory and still got the error. So, it appears that problem isn't related to permissions over the network, but rather something else?

From your post, Access does not need to be installed on the server running IIS in order for the DB to function properly, correct?

Any other thoughts?
    Thanks again for your help.
    -Dman100-

Hrm.

I think we have gotten out of my league. :-/ I thought you were talking about like a network server, and using VBA or VB to access the database.

I am not positive as to what IIS is. What is it?

From the sounds of things I would assume that Access would need to be on the server.

I work off of the 'server' computer at my work. I have access installed and I allow other people to use the database by sharing the folder it is in and mapping a network drive say J: to that folder. That way if I have any references in the database they all goto "J:\something". (I set everyone's mapped drive to J:\)

I am not sure I am of help in this situation.
    Jarvis

Hopefully someone else will be able to assist you better if I havent been able to do so.

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs

Hi Jarvis,

Thanks for all the help and information. To give you further information. IIS (Internet Information Services) is the web server. I am running IIS from my server, but I don't have Access installed on the server yet. I setup a virtual directory on the server to the actual directory on the workstation over a network share.

I am thinking that the reason I'm getting the "Disk or Network error" when trying to open an ASP page that is writing or retrieving information from the Access DB is because I don't have Access installed on the server.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks again.
    -Dman100-

Yea makes total sense. I think that is the case to. If it isnt let the forum know and we will see what we can do to help.

I hope I have been of service to you,
    Jarvis

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs