Unanswered: How to create a paradox database

How to create a paradox database with a WYSIWYG software ??

For example, for creating MySQL Databases, we can use MySQLCC

What about paradox databases ??

I can't find nothint in the web ragarding this issue, I can't even find the official paradox database webpage.

Please guide me, I'm totally new regarding databases

I don't think they're around any more.

Try this:
    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Borland_P...MOCU350_For_PC
    DSummZZZ

Even more Fox stuff at
    www.davesummers.net/foxprolinks.htm

That means: Paradox is almost death..

So,

We can say that paradox is over...

ORACLE, MSSQL, and MySQL are in the top of the world.

I guess, Paradox will not be able to survive.

It seems that way.

But don't forget about FoxPro. I've been a FoxPro developer for roughly 15 years now. Still going strong.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/
    DSummZZZ

Even more Fox stuff at

Oh, pish-posh. If ya don't know the answer, , don't proclaim the death of the software.

The answer is: to create a Paradox database, you usually employ a copy of Paradox for DOS or Windows. Which is available in a copy of the Corel WordPerfect Office suite at a retail store near you.

A Paradox "database" consists of a directory. Each table, furthermore, consists of a collection of files. Paradox does not strictly support the SQL model, but it has an extremely powerful QBE-based query system of its own.

Even though Paradox does not have a strong marketing department behind it, it remains one of the most widely used PC databases in the world. It is considerably older than Microsoft Access and nearly as old as xBase. The ObjectPAL language used in the Windows product is nothing short of innovative. The product exhibits an extremely clever and resourceful approach to the typical problems of PC-style database design, supports a multi-user load of 20-odd users quite well, and continues to pull its weight. One of the nicest attributes of the system is that it is completely forwward-and-backward compatible among versions. A fine piece of software engineering. Still!

(Full disclosure: We produce a software product geared for Paradox databases. But, that notwithstanding, I stand by my words.)
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Thanks fot answer

Well,

sorry, a wasn't specific.

When a talked about the databases (Oracle, MSSQL, etc) , I was thinking about Internet, e-commerce, etc.

I wonder why Paradox didn't developed a more sophisticated database system compatible with PHP, ASP, etc. You have to use an ODBC driver in order to get records from the Database.

I'm no saying that has died. But, thinking in a more commercial way,
    for many programmers Paradox it's out.

And for the new ones,
    There is a lot of reference for databases (the ones I mentioned).
    Tutorials, Examples, articles, etc.

Please, Compare the most important databases with a neutral point of view. That will be very helpful for the newie people as me.

And wish one do you recommend to learn first, other than MySQL (I started with MySQL and it's very easy to learn, but in the business enviroment, companies don't use it, they like ORACLE, MSSQL, DB2, etc.
    They say, "MySQL is for babys. ORACLE is for big people", and so on)

sundialsvcs,
    Pish-posh? Such strong language .

Due to I'm guessing, the somewhat proprietary nature of Paradox, and a the limitations in connectivity, speed and availability, I just haven't seen many much interest in developement tools or interfaces supporting it.
    It's probably not dead, but for a robust business back end, I don't think it's really worth using.

Mysticav,
    Since you've already been exposed to the MySQL envrionment, it wouldn't be that big of a jump to move to MSSQL. You'll get arguments both ways, but I personally feel Oracle is no better or worse than MSSQL.
    It all depends on your requirements and anticipated volume/connections.
    DSummZZZ

Even more Fox stuff at

Sounds good...

Well, I was thinking to start with MSSQL, Now that you tell I will start with it, no doubt.

Anyhow, I hope that the problems come when you are dealing with a huge storage of data. I'm just starting, so. I guess, I don't need to care about subtle differences right now.

And, what about PHP and MSSQL ??

Of course, when I think about MSSQL a Think about ASP. (same company)

but, does PHP works fine with MSSQL ??

I already started with PHP, but if ASP works better with MSSQL, well,
    let's learn ASP !!

Timeslips

I provide technical support for URL=http://www.timeslips.com]Timeslips[/URL] which uses the Paradox database and the Borland Database Engine. Timeslips is a time and billing program used mainly by lawyers and accountants, etc... I just thought I'd let everyone know there is a business management software program that uses Paradox. I came to this site to research Paradox databases. From what I understand it is a fairly old platform (ancient in computer years). From my own experience it seems to be unstable and prone to data corruption when working on networks. (This may be the case for any database driven program..I don't know, I'm new to programs like this) I also supported Peachtree Accounting software for a while which uses BTrieve and I never encountered as many problems as I do w/ Paradox.

Anyone have any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by AirGiguereTS
    I provide technical support for URL=http://www.timeslips.com]Timeslips[/URL] which uses the Paradox database and the Borland Database Engine. Timeslips is a time and billing program used mainly by lawyers and accountants, etc... I just thought I'd let everyone know there is a business management software program that uses Paradox. I came to this site to research Paradox databases. From what I understand it is a fairly old platform (ancient in computer years). From my own experience it seems to be unstable and prone to data corruption when working on networks. (This may be the case for any database driven program..I don't know, I'm new to programs like this) I also supported Peachtree Accounting software for a while which uses BTrieve and I never encountered as many problems as I do w/ Paradox.
    Anyone have any comments?
    We sell a lot of copies of ChimneySweep to TimeSlips customers. The general issue with Paradox, also very visible in MS-Access databases, is that providing shared real-time access to a file can be problematic in modern Windows environments. Virus scanner software can be very troublesome. Other software systems seem to provide shared database access by opening and closing the files repeatedly, holding them open for exclusive access during the brief interval. Much less efficient and much more stable. Systems that do rely upon simultaneous, error-free, shared read/write access to a common file or files often have considerable problems depending on the server OS version. (Microsoft never got SMARTDRV right, and they're batting a thousand with opportunistic file-locks.)
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com