Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Smile Unanswered: Database Design Question

I am writing a job tracking app with ASP/MSSQL and I have a question about setting up an archive system.

For my app, the database consists of several relational tables that track all of the information about a job. I want to set it up so that if a job is completed, it gets archived.

Over the next 2 or 3 years, this system will likely grow to 100,000+ records.

My question is, should I (1) just use a flag to mark the job as archived, (2) make a flat record of the job and move it into one archive table, or (3) set up archive tables that mirror my production tables and copy the record to the archive tables keeping the relationships intact?

Does anyone have a method that has worked well for them in the past? What will keep my app running the fastest? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

i always prefer a single table with the jobs flagged as not active (1 or 0)
    it makes for simpler querying later with just
    select * from table1
    where active is 1
    and
    when you want to see completed tasks
    select * from table1
    where active is 0

(less tables, less joins etc,.... )

Cool ... thanks!

Do you think 100,000+ records somewhere down the line will be a problem when running reports or doing searches if I just use a flag? I'm trying to design this w/ optimized tuning in mind because I don't know how long it will be in place.

When I flag a job as complete (bit 0,1) and then query w/

WHERE open=(0 or 1)

It still has to check every record correct? How many records before there is a noticable difference in the speed of the app?

two ways to think of this
    you could make the column a bit datatype to save on space but it stores 1,0 or null small to the point but you cannot create an index on this column

OR
    create the column as tinyint (1 byte , largest value 255) and then you could index it
    but the indexing on a heavily duplicated columns is not recommended
    you also could create statistics on the flagged column
    i'm of the mind that you should be okay with this but just monitor performance during operations

Thanks for your ideas!

Provided Answers: 1
    The optimizer will likely not use an index on a boolean column, regardless of whether it is bit, tiny int, or even char(1). There just isn't sufficient cardinality to make it worthwhile.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

true
    this is an area where i have (gulp!) envied ORACLE
    they have bitmap indexes that you can use on heavily duplicated columns like gender and yes\no

oh well maybe in yukon.

Yeah, but that's not the point.

You could create an index on boolean values stored in a tinyint field, but the optimizer would likely ignore it because its not any more efficient than using a table scan. The cardinality is likely so low (high? I can never remember...) that the small performance boost gained by using the index is offset by the overhead of accessing the index.

I'm not an Oracle DBA, but I don't see how Oracle would gain much from indexing boolean values either.

blindman

yes and using bitmap indexes on yes no or gender or small sets like rating can give you a boost
    but you are right about the boolean but still i prefer the 1/0 flag to the splitting up of tables

I agree. In most cases (not all) a flag is better than splitting the data.

blindman

And the rambling goes on. Well, I don't know who would come up with an idea on creating an index just on a Gender or Yes/No field. And you guys keep on going on it. Kind of silly, would you really consider doing it? Its value WILL come to play if such a field is combined with something else.

And another thing, - YOU CAN CREATE AN INDEX ON A BIT FIELD, even by itself.

Yes and no.

You can't create an index on a bit field through Enterprise Manager's table design form.

Also, Books Online states:

"Columns of type bit cannot have indexes on them. "

But you can create the index using SQL:

CREATE INDEX [IX_BitTest] ON [dbo].[YourTable]([BitValue]) ON [PRIMARY]
    GO

...so there is a loophole or inconsistency in SQL server regarding bit values.

Lot's of people come up with the idea of indexing boolean fields because they don't have an in depth understanding of how SQL Server works. That's why they come to dbforums for advice, not ridicule Bob.

blindman

Originally posted by blindman
    ...Lot's of people come up with the idea of indexing boolean fields because they don't have an in depth understanding of how SQL Server works. That's why they come to dbforums for advice, not ridicule Bob.
    Hey, you started first, I just try to survive here. Remember your comments about my inability to understand English? Help me out here, - weren't you ridiculing me?

Somet things I found funny, others I saw as an insult, but in neither of those posts were you even attempting to hide or retract your intent to ridicule. I guess you yourself can't take your own medicine, hey?!

Originally posted by blindman
    ...You can't create an index on a bit field through Enterprise Manager's table design form.

Also, Books Online states:

"Columns of type bit cannot have indexes on them. "

Which Books Online are you reading, Lindman? Get on with the program, everybody else did!

SQL Server Books Online January 2004 Update

YEAH BOB!!!!

rdjabarov does insulted.....

Always go with your strength.

blindman